Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Jul 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    So finished up a 2 night stay here at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego... here are some thoughts on the property-

Firstly, its a huge convention center hotel. It's nice, but nothing special in terms of decor. It looks like they are in the midst of a remodel, as many of the ground floor shops are currently closed, and the fact that they are under new ownership/management is prominently displayed.

Check-In was easy a few days ago, a short line, but as a Platinum (formerly Diamond) member, was able to use the special line which was actually staffed (+1). We had used a suite upgrade from when I was a Diamond member, and we were supposed to be given a Junior (connector style suite), but they upgraded us to a massive Grand Suite at check-in (+1). This is one of the larger hotel rooms I've been in before. Huge bedroom area with a sitting area in it, a separate office area off the living room area, a dining room area, a guest bath, a kitchenette (another separate room), and the master bath has dual everything (including dual showers). In fact, our biggest worry was the room was just too large for 2 people, and we'd end up leaving things all over the place and forget them at check-out.

The view was spectacular, can see the USS Midway, the bay, etc, as we were up on the 31st floor. Furnishings in the room were nice, though nothing particularly amazing to write about. Everything was clean and in good condition. Could also enjoy watching planes landing and taking off from SD Airport a bit into the distance.

Grand Room was a bit disappointing... not one of the better ones I've experienced in terms of offerings. It's adequate for a light breakfast, but skip going there the rest of the day.

We didnt try any of the hotel restaurants or bars, so cant comment on those, except that there is a ground floor bar that is packed with convention and hotel guests and plays live and loud music at night.

The location is good for convention events since its just a short walk away. Gas Lamp is also about a 10 minute walk, which is where we spent most of our time. But its not 'in the heart' of Gaslamp, like some other hotels are that I've stayed at in the past. It's also right next door to Seaport Village (yes, I know its a tourist trap, but its still a cute tourist trap to walk through at night).

One thing I definitely didnt like... $36 for valet, $26 for self parking. Thats just ridiculous. I know parking is at a premium here, but common, those are just asinine numbers, this isnt San Fran or something.

We didnt particularly have any special requests or too much interaction with the staff, but they were generally friendly and helpful any time we did speak to them.

Overall, I'd rate this hotel a B+. It's on the older side, maybe the in-progress remodel will improve things. The location is good (but not outstanding). Everything else was good, and we really didnt have any major complaints. I'd stay here again in the future (but also likely to check out the Andaz) if coming to SD.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I consider this to be one of the best large convention hotels I've experienced. It's so much better than the others along San Diego's waterfront near the convention center. It's also conveniently on the edge of downtown, on the side near the airport. Seaport Village is fun when you've arrived from a winter climate.

Tenmoc, wrxmom and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there several times and I find that they go out of their way to please elite members. I will say that I do prefer the Marriott next door, but both are excellent properties in a great location.

wrxmom likes this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there a few times during conventions next door. Nothing special, but not a bad property at all. Bike rental comes very handy, and so does proximity to Seaport Village. Ended up having breakfast at one of the cafes there a couple of times: not too touristy early in the morning, and better food than Hyatt lounge.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having the back door access to Seaport Village is another plus. :)

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lobby looks great and full of pastoral scenes art work ... looking to stay there in July in a suite to accommodate all four of us but the availability is lacking!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tenmoc and Over the Atlantic like this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spent some time here in Feb 2013. It is one of the reasons we switched to Hyatt from Hilton as our primary program.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ben @Lucky of the famed One Mile at a Time blog just reviewed this property with photos: Review: Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We drove from Orange County and stayed at this property in San Diego for four nights checking in on Christmas day. The self parking lot in the adjacent structure and has a $30/day self-parking fee with unlimited in/out privileges. The fee seems excessive, but in exchange for convenience and peace of mind (especially if you are driving a rental) we used and paid for this service. Guest parking are on 3-6 floors with elevators connecting them to the hotel lobby.

The initial checkin experience was a disaster as the hotel FD agent seemed inexperienced and continually using the excuse that this 1600+ room hotel was sold out for the night. We were given a room on the 8th floor overlooking the parking structure roof on the south side. Checked online and found out that the hotel was still selling rooms for that same night $15 cheaper than we got ours! Being a Diamond, I was incensed with this accommodation as the program written benefit for my tier membership states, "Enjoy the best room available upon arrival ..." Is this the best room available??? I tweeted Hyatt Concierge and explained my displeasure and was told that the property would remedy the situation. Went out to lunch in the adjacent Seaport Village and at around 4:00 PM got a text message stating that our room was ready. Was welcomed as Hyatt Diamond by a very pleasant FD supervisor and given a room on the 31st floor. Our benefits of Grande lounge access to include breakfast and happy hour were thoroughly explained.

The massive lobby is truly Grand with marble flooring, huge pastoral scene murals, and high quality wood counters and located between the two towers of the hotel adorned with Christmas decorations. Off to the left of the front desk counters we go to our room via elevators. There are two sets of elevators, one serving floors 8-28, and the second 29-40. Both elevators serve 1-4 floors. Not convenient if you stay at lower than the 29th floor and needed access to the lounge on the 33rd floor.
    [​IMG]
    Our room on the 31st floor of the Harbor Tower was actually a modern spacious suite full of light with separate living room with L-shaped sofa bed, bedroom, dining area with a huge table that seats 8 people, kitchenette with mini-fridge, coffee maker, utensils, and sink. We are a family of 4 and we needed the space for our 4 & 6 year kids. The living room sofa became their bed at night. The suite which is facing north-westerly also have awesome expansive views of the San Diego Harbor and the USS Midway. The views were so amazing that we left the drapes open all night to enjoy the scene when we woke up in the morning. The bathroom left too much to be desired however with its small size and shower above tub. But,fortunately, this suite had another bathroom with stand alone shower at the suite entrance. Toiletries were June Jacobs, as is Grand Hyatt standard. The most confusing thing here was that the suite had 3 external doors, the main suite entrance, bedroom entrance, and another at the kitchenette. Two sets of rooms card keys and you also need elevator lounge access and parking exit card - very confusing!
    [​IMG]
    The Grande Lounge is located on the 33rd floor is specious enough with plenty of seating, but the number of guests during the Christmas weekend was too much for this space. Breakfast and happy hour were a total riot, except when USC played Nebraska. The staff did a tremendous job trying to keep the food replenished for the crowds but I guess the hotel was not prepared with enough food for so many guests! Good food in the lounge during breakfast which was enough to keep us full until early supper. Desserts were served after 8 PM and they were quickly consumed as they were of a very excellent quality. We did not try any other food outlet here but there was a daily full service brunch at the lobby floor of the Harbor Tower side for $26/person. There is also an F&B outlet on the 40th floor called "Top of the Hyatt" bar that also serves food with expansive views of both sides. Very intimate ambiance for that special romantic date. We visited to snap some photos but did not partake the food or libations. We also visited the nice 4th floor pool, but did not swim due to the cold weather. Also on the 4th floor there was a good sized whirlpool, foosball machine, and a ping-pong table - a playground of sort when the weather allows.
    [​IMG]
    Very friendly service throughout, especially by the lounge staff. We needed a microwave oven for the room and one was delivered promptly with the $20 charge waived. That's a very good sign, no nickel & dime-ing here - two thumbs up! Concierge Steve assisted us the best best option to get to Coronado Island and what to see once there and directions to the children's museum. Another concierge recommended Hodad's downtown location when my son wanted a burger because she have had many memorable meals at their other branch at Ocean Beach (?) where she lives.
    [​IMG]
    Location is great in the middle of everything, adjacent to the Headquarters at Seaport District and Seaport Village itself has an entrance at the back of the hotel. Walking distance to the children's museum, USS Midway, Gaslamp District, and downtown. And very close to SAN airport.
    [​IMG]
    More of our photos of this property can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157649594174057/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015