Managing Credit Inquiries for Churns

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tzoom84, Aug 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed several folks tend to apply for up to 3-4 cards, 4x a year.This can add up to ~32 credit inquiries in the two-year span when they are on the credit report. Yes, I understand that not all credit card companies hit the same credit bureau. However, at least for me, the big hitters (Citi, Chase) both hit the same one (Experian).

Do people that churn this hard pretty much always have to call the reconsideration line to explain the number of inquiries?

I am asking because I feel I'm hitting that saturation point. I've been collecting miles via cards for ~4 years on and off. I only tend to do 3 churns a year, at 3 cards a time. I took most of 2012 off to let some inquiries drop off.

But I noticed at the heaviest points I always had to call to explain the "recent activity". I've been pretty successful with my explanations except for a Barclay denial recently and it got me thinking if I'm hitting a limit now.

Kalboz and boondr like this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have applied and been immediately approved for 13 cards over about a year and a half period of time. I just got a second US Airways MC (I was shocked I got it immediately) however I had not applied for any cards for 6 months. I just received an offer in the mail for a 50,000 United card (which I need for a future planned trip) and I will have to apply before 90 days has passed since my last applications. I think this will be the first I will have to call as I already have 4 Chase cards. Hopefully they will let me move some credit around as the limit on my Priority card is high and I never use it.

3. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow that's pretty good. Were those ALL personal cards? Or personal plus business mixed?

Also, didn't realize you can have multiple us air cards. Good to know.

4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you in that Citi, Amex, and BofA all hit the same credit bureau. Chase fortunately hits a different bureau. I am also not a heavy churner. I do about 7 - 9 cards per year. Sometimes I have to call other times I'm instantly approved. It depends more on whether I've maxed my credit line with the bank rather than inquiries.

5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of mine were personal cards. I don't have a real justification for business cards (no side businesses at all) so that is one of my lines I don't cross in this game we play. From what I have read the US Air card is really almost a chance thing to get approved for a second one. I thought a while about applying for the second one instead of the Arrival card. I may take a chance later this year on the Arrival card. I have hotel expenses it would help with on my next trip to Europe in February.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Significant churner over the last couple of years. Chase ALWAYS requires a call. Citi usually calls me these days. Amex generally just approves. Same here that most of these hit Experian except for BofA and if they didn't automatically approve me I'd generally just let the card go since they don't have much interesting anyway.

7. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey thanks everyone. I am hoping for the Chase Southwest 50K deal to return Q4 2013 or Q1 2014, so I can get the companion pass early and have it for 2014/2015. In planning for that, I was trying to figure if it is worth a churn of ~3 cards or so now, or just wait on inquiries until then. I think I'll do a few now if I can find solid deals.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:

I've only been in the game since January, but I have had pretty much the same experience. Amex always approves, Chase always requires a call but gets approved. Also, if it's my first card with a new bank I've gotten approved instantly.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:

Don't make assumptions based on what Barclay's does. They're about as predictable as the weather.

Kalboz, merice107 and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbie here. My husband and I did our first AOR two weeks ago and I was surprised that we only got instantly approved for two of the eight cards we applied for - two Amexes. Had to call recon for the other six, which were four Chase (two personal, two business) and two Citis. We got approved for all of them eventually - calls ranged from the mundane to a Chase guy who seemed on the verge of rejecting my husband to another Chase guy who kept profusely thanking my husband for being such a good customer (which he is).

We both have good scores (over 760), good incomes, and until now few cards. I only had one credit card prior to my AOR, though I was an authorized user on the two Chase cards my husband had. He has a business and ran a lot of money through those two Chase cards.

The experience leaves me wondering if we did something wrong. Did all the apps close together. Will we have a hard time in future AORs?

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couple of articles worth mentioning here about IDA & ARS credit freeze if you have been denied credit for the US Bank Club Carlson Premier card:

- Hack my Trip: http://hackmytrip.com/2013/06/freeze-ida-ars-us-bank-club-carlson/

- Frugal Travel Guy: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/08/getting-approved-for-club-carlson-cards.html

- Rapid Travel Chai also blogged about the topic in general: http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravel...nquiries-or-how-to-get-use-out-of-transunion/