Managed to Redeem Miles on Cathay

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Toula, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feeling a pretty happy camper after a week of let downs not being able to redeem points for any of the vacations we were thinking of.

However, today was a different story. Looking for ways to get to Australia and stumbled across 2 First Class tix in First Class on Cathay from SFO to HKG which I quickly booked. Only cost 150k miles plus $232.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's fantastic. Congratulations!

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out did you book?

Also, did you calculate the cents-per-mile valuation that results from this redemption. I'm sure it's a peach. Perhaps 7 cpm?

4. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have been able to book 2 Biz class award tickets on CX from ORD to HKG and connecting in CX biz from HKG to BKK for early October using AA milles.

5. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't wish to sound cheeky but why are Americans so obsessed with the value of miles?

Surely the value should come in how much one enjoys the journey and not in how much one has saved?

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saving can be part of the enjoyment :)

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great redemption. How do you plan to get from HKG to Australia? I wish CX flew there with F, though I'm sure their J is quite nice also :)

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truthfully I am in the camp of not bothering about the cost per mile. We wanted it, they had it and the deal was done. To us, First is a truly wonderful experience, one we wish we could have every time we fly. That said we are booked on the lunchtime flight as I intend to stay awake for every moment and drink as much champers as I can.

Someone asked how far out we booked. It was exactly 30 days. I had been looking for a while and nothing was available so I am assuming that some magic marker released seats based on how many days out and I was lucky enough to be searching at the time they released. Put it this way, as soon as I saw them I booked them without consulting my husband.

To get from HKG to Sydney we are going on Cathay in Business Class. Once again doing the day flight to take full advantage of the champers.

jmrich1432 likes this.