Man Who Exercised 1st Amendment Rights By Stripping At Airport Still Owes TSA $1K

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, May 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://consumerist.com/2013/05/10/m...ts-by-stripping-at-airport-still-owes-tsa-1k/

Remember the man who stripped down to his birthday suit at an Oregon airport to express his First Amendment rights? We know we sure do. And while a judge said that act was totally protected by the Constitution, he’s still got a pesky $1,000 fine from the Transportation Security Administration hanging over his head. He says he’s ready to fight that, too.

While he was acquitted of any wrongdoing for his strip moves at Portland International Airport, on Tuesday he’ll be in front of a judge again to appeal the TSA’s $1,000 fine for allegedly breaking a federal rule saying passengers must not ”interfere with, assault, threaten, or intimidate” TSA screeners, reports OregonLive.com.

“I’ve had this cloud hanging over my head … for months and months,” the man said of the fine, which he received a few months after he bared it all in protest of what he saw as outrageous security procedures.

Read More: http://consumerist.com/2013/05/10/m...ts-by-stripping-at-airport-still-owes-tsa-1k/

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope he wins. :)

Mapsmith and goalie like this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redux and here's to the naked truth wining

sobore, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This guy will lose with the TSA Kangaroo Court.

However, the TSA might want to be careful. IANAL, but if the fine is appealed and goes to a higher court, my guess is that the TSA's SOP would legitimately brought into legal question. And I highly doubt they want to get their precious SSI and/or authority questioned. Could open a can of worms the TSA doesn't want.

In the end, the fine will eventually be dropped.

goalie likes this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I 'd pay the fine for this guy in a hahtbeat in order to get that can of worms opened

Captain Oveur likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the TSA will let it get that far.

goalie likes this.
  7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

I approve.