Man Stole "Elite" Flyer Luggage from Newark: Cops

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...te-Non-Flyer-at-Newark-Airport-140298063.html

A Newark man was arrested after allegedly taking two suitcases with "elite" status ID tags from a carousel at Newark Liberty International Airport Friday morning, according to Port Authority of NY/NJ spokesman Al Della Fave.

Della Fave credited a limo driver, who was not identified, with alerting police to Victor Spears, 39. The limo driver didn't think Spears looked like a frequent flyer to the chauffeur.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...te-Non-Flyer-at-Newark-Airport-140298063.html

rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, if your gonna steal from elite flyer's, you have to look the part! :D

viguera and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    This goes back to a discussion here on whether one should dress well as elite flyer! Another point for why it makes sense.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to be careful from now on. Some limo driver could think the same of me after a long itinerary?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing. Then again, I don't tend to have Elite luggage tags on my bags (other than "Gold" or "Platinum" status tags from IHG/PC, because they were the only ones sending some in recent years).

6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how many elites would have their bags on the luggage Carousel??? I thought all you guys carried on all you needed for two weeks in a 22" rollaboard.
    :)

Ed74, scf, Sweet Willie and 4 others like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    thats how we "roll" :D

snap, dc_traveler and sobore like this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point! I hope he learned his lesson! :D

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:

Short Haul vs Long Haul....

Most of my status comes from long haul, long duration trips. Such as start in Aberdeen UK, travel to Shanghai for 4 weeks, travel to Houston / New Orleans for 2 weeks, direct back to Shanghai for 2 weeks, then home. 10 weeks away, 60+ hotel nights. I need some luggage for this...

Or 2 weeks training in Nigeria.... Houston to Lagos, 280 lbs of luggage (training manuals and give aways). Coming home 3 suitcases, but 2 empty, one half full with dirty cloths.

Or this is a really fun one - houston - KL, two weeks, BKK, one week, KL 4 weeks, BKK / Cambodia - 2 week vacation, 4 weeks KL, then home.

Even for short trips ~ 2 weeks i tend to check a bag with stuff like a pocket knife, portable espresso machine, work out gear, etc. Why not? For an inter national trip it adds maybe 5-10 minutes to collect a bag on a 20-40 hour journey...

Back to the topic, i have seen people trying to steal luggage, and a few caught. they look for the expensive cases, halliburton and LV are pretty obvious. If you are going for expensive luggage, custom is a better option as most thief's will not know what to look for. Tanner Kroll if you are serious. American Tourister is the other option for luggage that doesn't get stollen....

10. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or one could take it the other way as well. When I travel and look like a poor recent college grad if I just remove my luggage tags nobody would want my stuff...

snap likes this.
  11. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    I always check my luggage in, I prefer having small backpack with me when I travel - even though my bags have Senator tags, they're there mostly because of irony - electric green plastic samsonite loves leather tags ;-) Do note, there're somewhat more important Business/First priority tags by Star Alliance, that can indicate good contents way more than frequent flier tags.

And indeed, best security is having electric green plastic samsonite - can spot it at any distance ;-)

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they had liquor from duty free abroad and got caught up in a brief visit in the club after deplaning...I know I've stopped in ATL before to use the wifi in the SkyClub before I went to baggage claim...only a few minutes, but my bag was on the carousel by the time I got there.

:)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I check a bag, it's mostly on a return home from a longer vacation. The goodies you'll find in my Business/First priority-tagged carry-on-sized suitcase will typically be dirty clothing (and not the fancy kind) and sand :)

SEABrad and sobore like this.
  14. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    How would anyone know it's your luggage?

15. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my own luggage tags which are pretty basic but durable. The elite ones I have with CX (Diamond) and AC (Super Elite), I don't use them as they chip and break a lot easier.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No one else has a pink suitcase with green stripes? :D

domas likes this.