Man removed from flight 'for being too fat'

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Apr 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/04/24/man-removed-southwest-airlines-flight-too-fat-to-fly/

Southwest Airlines passenger has told how he was asked to step off a flight - because he is overweight.

Matthew Harper, 34, had boarded a flight on Sunday from Midway Airport, Chicago, to Denver, but says he was approached by a cabin crew member after he had taken his seat.

He was asked to leave the plane, and was then allegedly questioned over whether he was aware of the airline's "customers of size" policy, which urges larger people to buy two seats, according to the Metro.

Harper, who weighs 340lbs, said he was aware of it, but that there was an empty seat right next to him.

He was let back on the plane after about 30 minutes, but said he was left "humiliated" by the experience.

Read More: http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/04/24/man-removed-southwest-airlines-flight-too-fat-to-fly/

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A real shame. :(

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would he have rather been confronted while on the plane. Southwest always says that they try to deal with "Customers of Size" in a relatively private setting. When he was asked to leave the plane, he said that he had an empty seat next to him. Did he purchase two seats and was the flight crew concerned about the number of empties on the flight. So, if I am a 'Customer of Size' and board early, I can block the seat next to me for free???

I see no problem with the way the airline handled this situation.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't WN's policy that a Person of Large Size has to buy a second seat, which will be refunded if there end up being empty seats on the flight?

Mapsmith, skyvan and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree

LETTERBOY and Mapsmith like this.
  6. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Poor baby. He got a free middle seat which is more than I get when I fly WN as my flights are always packed. Next time buy 2 tix if he can't stand the lecture.

LETTERBOY likes this.