Man Carrying Stun Gun Arrested at JFK

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by ACMM, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

Sept. 18--A man carrying a stun-gun pen in his checked bag was arrested at a security checkpoint at Kennedy Airport on Monday, the Transportation Security Administration said.

The TSA said the incident occurred midmorning at the international departures terminal and involved a man traveling to Korea. The identity of the traveler was not released.

It was not clear what airline was involved in the matter.

The TSA said there was no apparent connection between the incident and the telephone bomb threat that resulted in three planes being searched and cleared at the airport.

Those incidents involved a Finnair flight from Helsinki, an American Airlines flight from San Francisco and a jointly operated flight by the two airlines from Chicago to Kennedy.

Officials said the TSA discovered the stun-gun pen and immediately contacted Port Authority police, who confiscated the weapon and arrested the man on a state weapons charge.

A TSA spokeswoman, Lisa Farbstein, said airport operations were not impacted.

... more at the link above ...

Gargoyle and Wageslave like this.
  2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    He was stunned that he couldn't carry it on

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything for some good, shameless PR, huh TSA?

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So someone had something he shouldn't have in his Checked Bag. There is no airline security threat here. It appears it wasn't even a federal crime, since he was arrested on state charges.

Probably just like countless other cases where people buy things in one country that are hard to get, or more expensive, in their home country, and try to bring it home.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what's a stun gun PEN? Doesn't even sound like a real gun. Nor am I sure why state charges should even apply on an international flight but I'm not a lawyer -- though I do live in NY and don't know of a prohibition against stun guns anyhow. Just TSA propaganda to me.

Gargoyle likes this.