Man attempts to open emergency exit

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    We take for granted how easy it would be for someone to do this.......

Incident: Travel Service B738 near Rhodes on Jul 15th 2011, unruly passenger​

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jul 16th 2011 18:03Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 16th 2011 18:04Z​

A Travel Service Boeing 737-800, registration OK-TVJ performing flight QS-478 from Ostrava (Czech) to Rhodes (Greece), was enroute at FL390 about 30 minutes prior to landing in Rhodes, when a passenger attempted to open an emergency exit. Cabin crew subdued the man, the flight crew requested police to meet the aircraft and continued for a safe landing in Rhodes. Greek police took the man into custody.

The airline said, the passenger showed indications of intoxication.

Greek police said, the passenger could not explain why he attempted to open the emergency exit and faces charges for threatening safety.

sobore and snap like this.
  2. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wish there were a way we could just sit there and let them try and open it. 95% of the time, alcohol is involved....just let him/her keep trying to do it until they fall asleep or crave a cheeseburger.

Scottrick, cordray2643 and bonnerbl like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This, among other reasons, is why windows and doors open inward on aircraft.

Even if the door ultimately swings open, its first motion is inward. There is no one in the world strong enough to do this - or it would have happened by now.

The only door that could have opened in flight (and did) was the rear center stairs found on 727s and a small handful of other aircraft. The door was designed to open outward directly, without an interim inward step. The alleged culprit did in fact escape through the center rear door during an early hijacking in the [1960s] in the pacific northwest. I think (but am not sure) that following this incident, many aircraft were modified to mechanically block opening this door during flight.

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. on all counts.

That was the Dan Cooper (D.B. Cooper) incident. One of the reasons we have ID checks today is because the FBI remains embarrassed that they could never solve the case or positively identify the perp.

IIRC, I believe DC-9s were also manufactured with rear air-stairs (don't recall about the derivatives MD-80, etc).

After the Cooper incident, the Feds required that airlines modify the doors so they could not be opened in flight.

NYBanker likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least some MD80s had a similar aft exit. DL used to run this equipment for shuttle flights to boston and on busy and nice days we could exit from the front or back of the plane at LGA.

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I remember diing that on the DCA shuttles to LGA back when they were 727s, but I don't think I ever did it on an MD80 - these days I take Acela.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFJcA3Hlgo

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    727s...then 737-800s (which made no sense for these short runs) ....then MD80s...now A-319s to Boston and RJs to DC.

While I usually always get an upgrade to F, I miss the one-cabin services on the DL shuttle runs. I liked the egalitarian setup with the extra legroom and short-haul European style service.

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And before that, DC9s (NY Air aka The Flying Nosh) and DC6 (Eastern) back in the days of 'if the flight is full, we'll roll out another plane for you'. I still remember when the rolled a credit card machine down the aisle instead of selling tickets on the ground.

I agree that the old one-class service was great, but really not fleet-efficient.

NYBanker likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me of a story from college when someone got drunk and tried to walk through the drive-through lane at Del Taco, demanding to be served before the cops came to shoo her away. Normal college stuff... except this was my molecular biology professor. :D

NYBanker likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That promo lasted through at least the early delta shuttle days. Anyone ever had the carrier roll one out for just a few pax?

I thought the shuttle aircraft had extra legroom in y compared to the main fleet. The one class shuttle equipment certainly did...i am not sure if the two class equipment has extra legroom in Y. Anyone know?

Travel2Food likes this.
  13. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I knew a few folks that had EA do that back in the early days (pre-Trump/pre-Delta).

I think the Shuttle planes did when they were dedicated. I think the ones operating the route now come from the regular fleet - they're not dedicated to the shuttle. I'm pretty sure that there is no extra legroom - but can't confirm as fact. SeatGuru shows no planes dedicated to shuttle. Hope someone can confirm.

NYBanker likes this.
  14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is also the tail cone emergency exit on the mad dogs.

NYBanker likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    See the YouTube video I linked earlier in this thread. I didn't know there was one. Don't even recall when last flew n a mad dog. Might have been on Alaska. Really should make it a point to book a trip on AA or Delta one of these days... Maybe even on a DC-9 (don't know if I ever flew on one... Probably not)

NYBanker and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We got to play with those at the DL Road Warrior Training DO in ATL.
    md-tail.jpg

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly AA or DL out of LGA and it's probably 50/50 that you'll get an md80 (or derivative) on a mainline flight.

However, unless you're looking to mark off a different aircraft model on your flown list, I wouldn't make this a priority.

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that what I said?

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    what confused me is you said they let pax exit through the rear, and I thought maybe some MD's had a different config with a standard rear door. I can't see them letting pax exit though the tail cone- as you see in the photo, you have to bend down to walk through the tunnel, and it isn't an easy exit to open or use.

rwoman and NYBanker like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh...gotcha!

Perhaps it was just the 727s that this was allowed on...but there was definitely a time on the DL shuttle where they'd let you exit through the center tail exit. This was well over 10 years ago. I did it a few times.

5+ years ago, when these runs were done on 737-800s (woefully the wrong aircraft for this route), they would pull up air stairs to door 2L on nice days.

With the 2-class cabins, I haven't been in back in ages on the shuttle...so not sure if they still do this on the 319s that are run up to Boston.

rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  21. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my first TATL ever - LAX-JFK-MAD-Jerez...the MAD-Jerez flight boarded via a staircase at the tail...all I remember is being in the last row and falling asleep immediately. ;)

Gargoyle likes this.