Malta is a great destination that is somewhat undiscovered by Americans.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by marcwint55, May 29, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just returned from a lovely vacation spending 5 nights in Rome and 6 nights in Malta. There are many Europeans vacationing there, but not too many Americans.

It is a lovely place to go with immense history including the oldest ruins in existence, even older than Stonehenge.

The water is amazing and the beaches are quite nice.

The people were unbelievably friendly and the prices were not expensive other than taxis.

After paying thirty dollars every time we took a taxi round trip, we rented a very nice car for $25.00 per day. The people there do drive quite dangerously, but it really didn't bother me at all.

It is a short flight from many European cities and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a trip there.

2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to Malta, Gozo and Comino — including the Blue Lagoon — and I have been to those ruins, which are indeed the oldest ones in existence.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Blue Lagoon is amazing. I have never seen such turquoise clear water anywhere else.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's on my to-do list, though this year a different island in the Mediterranean will be our destination.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. vilerows

vilerows Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to Malta and would love to visit it soon, will make sure to go to that Blue Lagoon and of course the ruins.

6. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was in Malta last year in October. It was a fun, light adventure. The bus system is quite workable, and most of the people speak some English. Don't be afraid of the busses, as the place is small and if you really screw up and stay out past when they stop you can always get a taxi home. Get a bus pass and get off at all the little towns and take pictures of the architecture.

Gozo is laid-back and the only real attractions there are the Ggantia ruins and the Citadel in Victoria/Rabat, but still a very enjoyable place. If you have kids take them to the cisterns in the Citadel, they will never forget it.

Don't go to Malta expecting flash or color, as the whole place is built from the native limestone, but the beaches are nice and I felt very safe the whole time I was there.

If you REALLY want to see something that few tourists know about, check out the cart ruts, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misraħ_Għar_il-Kbir. Only true history nerds will find them interesting, though.

BTW, do NOT use the white taxis, order up a black taxi through the internet. They are about half as expensive.

For inexpensive digs there, if you don't mind Air BandB, contact John Brisy. He is a Belgian ex-pat who speaks perfect English and is as friendly as you could want. http://www.deluxereservation.com. He manages properties all through Europe, and has several in Malta. Look at the drop-down menu towards the upper right of the home screen.

7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to chastise you on not visiting Calypso’s Cave when you were in Gozo; but I see reports that it collapsed and that visitors can no longer enter the cave, as it is permanently closed...

...not that there was much to see in there in the first place — but still...