Maldives in June?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lycidas1, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to plan a honeymoon . . . thinking of the Maldives (or Canary Islands). Anyone have any insight on getting to the Maldives on a SkyTeam award ticket?

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call DL, see if you can go on KQ, probably easiest to find as an AF or KM redemption. Anything that isn't a codeshare won't generally show up on DL website when you try to book, even if ST goes there. Orbitz suggests DL to Dubai, and EK as a connection down. I couldn't find anything on the ST site either.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    SU is running something like two flights per week on SVO-MLE. MH runs daily flights KUL-MLE. KQ doesn't operate to MLE, so I'm not sure what Davescj is suggesting. (Maybe thinking of SEZ?) CZ and MU also fly to MLE. What's the trip's origin? I'm not sure what routing direction DL will want to impose on this one.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  4. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Origin will be somewhere in the NJ area (EWR, PHL, JFK). Something that did prove a little useful in finding routes was the SkyTeam Round-the-World Planner. It looks like Korean Air and China Southern both fly there.

I'll also take this opportunity to ask opinions on the TATL Biz class: KLM, AF, Alitalia or DL?

And, as always, I appreciate everyone's help!

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Delta's new business if you have the choice. AZ and AF are much more easily available though.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been on the J cabin in all 4. I would tell you it depends a bit on what you want. For ease of changing planes, in order of my preference would be: FCO, AMS, CDG (bottom rated).

Best lounges: AMS

Best beds DL if in flat bed, otherwise AF/KLM have the 170 degree recline.

Food: I tend to prefer DL or AF. But KLM has great Dutch selections if you don't mind something a bit different.

Wine: AF or DL, my preference goes to AF (French wine, DL will have more CA wines as a rule).

Entertainment: DL

Cabin Crew: DL and AZ

What I like about AZ is the relaxed feel of the cabin. However, in my experience, they tend to have fewer FAs in J. The food is served from carts, so has a restaurant/buffet feel in that way.

What I tend to urge caution about with AZ (and AF) is the tendency to go on strikes, which can be a real pain if it interferes with your flight.

I'd suggest a mix -- DL to AMS and KLM beyond (so you get the Gin house). My second choice would be DL to FC) and AZ to Africa.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    AZ's new flat bed seats on the A330s (coded as 330 in reservation system...avoid old 332 code) have really great reviews. Considered routing back from Oz via China to try out their product, but the flight times were bad and would have required something like SYD-CAN-PEK-FCO-LHR, so I just stuck with SYD-KUL-LHR on MH. AZ is supposed to be updating the product on their 777s, too, so I'd poke around and see what the status is.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would start looking at revenue tickets. Service into the Maldives is exceedingly limited. The service by alliance members (any alliance) is even more limited. The likelihood of finding a DL award, much less one with a decent schedule, is probably close to zero. I doubt you would have much more luck getting a *A or OW award. Your best bet would be finding a program that partners with QR or EK.

The wife and I went in March from Europe and decent schedules were next to impossible to find, even for revenue tickets. We ended up not even worrying about earning alliance miles and just went with Qatar - we still had to overnight in Doha on the way back and double connect on the way there.

9. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    speaking of ---"I don't want to rain on your parade"--from what i read april -oct is rain season -maybe on a honeymoon weather is not so important -- all kidding aside -- check out the weather