Malaysian - what service in short- or medium-haul J?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by DCtrAAveler, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wondering if anyone knows what meal/beverage service is like in MH short- and medium-haul J. I'm curious specifically about NRT-KUL and KUL-BKK. Flying MH for the first time in early July, and while I know what to expect on the long-haul KUL-CDG leg of the trip, these others are a bit of a mystery. Info and/or pointers to info elsewhere most appreciated. Cheers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Malaysian has been rapidly changing recently so I must make my responses conditioned by teh fact taht my experiences were all between nine months and two years ago, although i flew them very frequently then. First, KUL-BKK is only an hour long flight anyway. All those flights are 738 except one that is an old 734, which i avoid. The 738 ones are pleasant and have a drink and a light snack (it was a small sandwich and some nuts when I was taking it) and you're landing. NRT-KUL I took three or four times.

For KUL-NRT there is a 772 twice a day and a 767 taht I have not taken. The 772's have a fair business class, angled flat seats 2-3-2. If you're in business i prefer rows 2 and 3 because the others seem to get lots of traffic. The food is nothing really special but is OK, and they still have a chef-on-demand taht has options of decent western and vaguely oriental dishes. I do not know about AVOD because I do not use it. I find the seats comfortable but some people hate the angled lie flat. They are obsolete and may be replaced soon. The service I find to be outstanding in that i always get exactly what I want.

The A380 is far and away the class act, as you know, so do not expect anything quite like that because it will not happen!

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! :) Really appreciate the info.

I figured the KUL-BKK would probably just be a beverage service, but nice to know there may be a snack as well. We'll be doing that as an evening leg both ways (MH780 arriving in BKK after connecting from NRT, and MH783 before connecting to the CDG flight). I think we're on the 734 unfortunately :( but maybe that will change.

Should have the 772 NRT-KUL on MH89. We're in row 4 A/C, as I recall. I think rows 2 and 3 were full already. For a day flight I don't mind the angle-flat - that or I've just grown accustomed to them from AA. Glad to know the service should be top quality.

Definitely looking forward to expanding my experiences with other OW carriers beyond AA, BA, and CX. Wish I could have managed F on the 380, but happy at least to finally get to fly one.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of A380 F, no surprise. I've yet to have a less than stellar experience on one in F, but I'm limited to SQ, EK, AF and LH. That is my ranking order too, by coincidence. I suspect MH will be well up in that list from what my friends tell me.

5. ericlkj83

ericlkj83 Member

Status Points:
    MH on KUL-BKK (and vice versa) has meal service, usually chicken or fish. It's a 2.5hours flight and they have plenty of time to serve meals. It's a small aircraft B737-800/B737-400 anyway but load is usually high. Pre-ordered meals will be served first before the trolley comes along.

Drinks, including wine and beer are also served.

In short haul J, expect the same food servings as EY. Nothing much differs except they use actual metal cutleries and porcelein plates rather plastics and disposibles (as in EY).

For medium haul, the food portion is greater than EY but still a long way far behind what other airlines are serving.

I blogged about business class servings between LH, MH and QR on short hauls at: http://pluboy.blogspot.com/2014/03/airlines-business-classes.html

jbcarioca likes this.