Malaysian passenger airliner crash in Ukraine

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gargoyle, Jul 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Preliminary reports are appearing of a Malaysian widebody crashing in the Ukraine, some rumors saying it was shot down. Too soon to know if this is real or all rumor.

Here is the Interfax report:

7/17 19:11 MALAYSIAN BOEING CRASHES NOT FAR FROM DONETSK WHERE FIGHTING TAKES PLACE BETWENE UKRAINIAN ARMY, MILITIAMEN - SOURCE

2. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to have been verified by a few news sources (CNN, Express, New York Daily – which claim the plane was shot down.)

This is terrible.

About Again, uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prayers for the passengers. Shot down wow, just wow. I almost can't believe it.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Reports say it was a 777-200 with 295 on board.
    Flight MH17 AMS-KUL

Horrible.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a terrible year so far for Malaysian civil aviation:(!

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Per a report in Malaysian news:

7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shooting a commercial passenger aircraft is inexcusable. The fact that it is a Malaysia Airline plane just amplifies this tragedy due to their recent unsolved misfortune. My condolences to all the victims families...

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely terrible. My condolences to all the families of the victims. I'm in total shock about this tragedy.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question that was also raised in some articles I read on this developing event. Are airlines expected to exercise due diligence and care to its passengers (and crew) by not flying over or even near areas of conflict? This is certainly not meant to "clear" the trigger pullers and place blame on a already drowning airline but neither does it seems logical to ignore common sense.

About Again and uggboy like this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read somewhere that they thought the rebels (pro russian? I guess they're the rebels) did not have the capabilities to shoot down a commercial airliner 30k ft up, thus they flew that route. Even during the MidEast stuff they flew over Iraq/Afghanistan ... because they weren't afraid of SAM & the only jets in the air were "allies."

But wow what a crappy year for MH ...

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming there will be a lot of finger pointing between the groups, with a marginal chance they'll ever completely identify which side it originated from. Scanning the satellite recordings, any remaining missile wreckage or damage to the planes, etc. should help to narrow down the weapon used and location launched, but I can not see the culprits ever claiming responsibility. Back and forth of who may have owned it or launched it, infiltrated to place blame, etc...

Condolences for both families and friends of the victims - but also to crew members of MH. The loss of so many friends and co-workers over the last year, especially for those currently working (or in the air), who are dealing with this breaking news as they work. I've never been in that situation, but my thoughts are with you all.

13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one will make that assumption again after this incident if the assumptions are acceptable (norms) in the first place.

Also, their sales will probably take another beating even if the two cases are unrelated.

Wonder what their insurance underwriters are thinking now. Their premiums must be going through the roof.. Lower sales, higher costs (insurance, marketing, contingency expenses etc)... Terrible conditions to operate in especially since their government had expressed that they will unlikely bail the national carrier out of their financial mess, which was not rosy to begin with before these two major incidents. That's right, they still have an unknown bill (MH370) to consider.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A lot will depend on how well the crash site is secured, and whomever secures it, the other side will accuse them of cover-up, fabricating evidence, etc. I'm sure the truth will come out, but there will be millions of people who choose to believe false conspiracy accusations. I've already seen posts from Russia blaming the CIA.

About Again, Concerto and WilliamQ like this.
  15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    About Again, WilliamQ and edekba like this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    such a shame that hundreds of innocent people lose their lives because of a few sick terrorists.

About Again and Gargoyle like this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not knowledgable enough about missile systems to say whether they should have been flying over Ukraine yesterday. I certainly know the answer today.

As was mentioned up thread, fellow crew members of Malaysia Airlines are missing a lot of folks this year they called friends.

I don't think I could have scripted a worse story for the airline. A very sad day for the passengers, crew and their loved ones.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-28354787

About Again and edekba like this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew CDG-BKK last year ... almost the same route that AMS-KUL. so yeah I think it's a pretty common route EU-SE Asia

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't any indication that it is terrorists.

It's possible it was Ukrainian separatists who thought they were firing on a Ukrainian military aircraft. Still tragic.

21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And, if that was the case, and it is appearing to be the most likely scenario, it required a level of missile and technology which they would only have gotten from the Russians... and that puts the finger directly at Putin, and is a game changer. His denials of direct support and involvement would be blown away. At that point, I guess his options would be to abandon the separatists and pull back completely, or to go in full bore. I hope it isn't the later!

22. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more likely SAM systems they captured from Ukrainian army a couple of weeks ago.

23. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unbelievable! My condolences to all the families of the victims.

About Again and Gargoyle like this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If the crash site is properly secured and it is possible to do full forensics, there should be enough residue to confirm the type of missile.

25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would consider them to be terrorists.