Making money or credit on "the bump" with todays new rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Sky King, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of today, if the air line boots your from your flight (and you didn't vol un.teer to be boot ed) and the air line gets you where you need to go with in two hours, you can look for ward to get ting dou ble the value of that ticket (with a cap of $650). Beyond that, the pay out is four times the ticket's one-way value, for a max of $1,300. That's big money, paid in vouch ers. But, as we've said before, you should insist on cash—as in green hundred dollar bills—because the alternative, vouch ers, can have expi ra tion dates, and the air line may not offer the best tick et for you for routes you're fly ing before the expiration date.

The play would be finding which routes are constantly oversold, not checking in until last minute and crossing fingers for the bump.

Any ideas?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  2. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sky King,

Here are some tips on getting denied boarding compensation (db)

1. Look at seat maps when booking a ticket and if the flight looks full then that is your flight to book.
    2. Do NOT reserve a seat - if you have a seat assignment, then you cannot be denied boarding unless you show up late and then it is your fault and the not the airlines fault. But, you risk ending up with "the best middle seat in the house" - that is the gamble.
    3. If you are lucky enough to check in and still do not have seat assignment - DO NOT VOLUNTEER - the less volunteers the better the chances of getting the DB compensation.
    4. If you see people volunteering, buy them a slice of pizza and ask them to remove their name from the list - thus upping your chances for DB compensation, you could even invite them into the Club for a drink if that will get them to pull their names off the VDB (voluntary) list.

I have not seen an airline give cold hard cash in ages, but I hope we start seeing that with this.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My suspicion is that GAs are most likely to go the IDB route rather than looking for volunteers is when the flight still barely has a chance to leave the gate on time. It's expensive (more so if your ticket was expensive or if there aren't good alternative flights for you) and policy is normally to find volunteers first by increasing the offer. You also don't want to have checked luggage which would need to be retrieved because that would likely delay the flight and if it's late anyway, they may as well wait for volunteers to appear.

4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    is it double the value of the whole tkt? or just what that leg cost? sorry I just cant see how say UA will have to pay 2x on a SAN-LAX-SYD-MEL tkt if the Bump came due to the SAN-LAX leg.

So a person on an ElCheapo wouldnt end up with much if its according to the leg and not the whole fare paid. True people could have purchased a full Y but then the GA can see who will end up costing the carrier the least and not Bump those on Expensive tkts or segments. Or why go with a VDB for $400 when an IDB may cost only $200 if that, except theres a good chance the person IDBed wont fly that carrier again if they can help it, and more important its real ca$h to the IDB but only Monopoly $$ to the VDB, so it would still pay to go the VDB path

5. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double the value of just the one way leg.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When it's twice the value of the one way ticket with the max, it caps out for arrival in two hours at about a $700 RT. This certainly isn't deep discount but it's more that most coach tickets on a typical flight. It corresponds to about a typical nonstop transcon at business times on heavy business travel days, although business travelers are probably less likely to be IDB as they probably have some status and not the cheapest fare class for their ticket on the flight. I wonder whether airlines will look at ticket price when deciding who to IDB, If they can find someone with a cheap (less than $100) fare for the relevant direction, the IDB could be cheaper than getting a volunteer, although perhaps not if the victim demands cash rather than an ecredit or voucher.

7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, just volunteer for the bump, and take your voucher to the airline paid hotel room, or next flight. I can say that I haven't ever seen anyone pulled from a flight, un-voluntarily. Not ever. UA just keeps increasing the compensation, while you're sitting in your seat waiting for departure, or for them to pull you out of your seat..
    What do you think SK? (and the answer to the trivia would be either Penny or Songbird)

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago, my mother and uncle were waiting for a flight at RNO, which is up in the mountains and susceptible to weight restrictions on hot days. AA called for volunteers offering a $200 voucher. A few minutes later, the offer was upped to $300. Then $400. I am not sure exactly where it ended up, but my uncle (who didn't fly much) allegedly shouted "DANG! This is the best game in Reno! Where do I buy a ticket?"

9. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely White Shadow.

10. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Little regional jets that fly places like SYR and ROC and ITH and ELM often have weight restrictions (and have to bump passengers) when it's too windy, or too hot, or too cold, or too snowy.

11. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you need details of the new rules...

New Air Travel Rules Cover Fees, Lost Luggage, Bumping, Delays
    By Paul Riegler

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't count as an IDB for compensation rules if you don't get a seat on a small plane due to weight and balance. The IDB rules are supposed to punish airlines for overbooking too much, not for weather and other conditions that they can't control.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not accurate.

IDB compensation is to be paid in real money, not TCVs.