Making "complex" changes to my award travel

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chinesescouser, Mar 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Milepoint Community:
    I have a question regarding the process and potential fees that I'll have to pay for making some changes to my award itin.

My wife is a UA Silver, I've lost all my UA status.
    Existing res:
    1 PNR with 2 pax to MBJ booked through wife's a/c. Total award 95K r/t (47.5K per person r/t; Outbound in Y; Inbound in F.)

Want to Change res to:
    Each pax using their own miles (1 Silver; 1 General Member) and with their own PNR to CDG going in F or J. Estimated award 135K or 100K each.

Because of availability, I'm probably going to have to pay close-in fees; and currently there are no seats in F, so will most likely have to pay change of booking code, either from X to I or O as it stands.

Question:
    Again, what would I be expecting to pay in fees?
    What is the best process to limit or avoid more fees?
    Is the best method (to avoid extra fees) to get all the segments as I want it, i.e. CDG-MUC-ORD, or since I'm ultimately going to change my routing because of availability, it doesn't matter if I book into CDG-BRU-ORD today and eventually change it to my ideal route?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You left out one of the most important pieces of information: when you intend to travel. As a Silver and a GM, there is no way to avoid fees, except by canceling and re-booking at least 21 days before departure. A quick scan over this Table will show that any other option will incur a fee of between $25 and $150 per changed item, depending on the combination of changes, if more than one, and on MP status (Silver, GM).

Canceling and re-booking, of course, is dangerous because you might not be able to find the awards that you already have.

3. chinesescouser

Status Points:
    Planning on traveling weekend of 4/4 so definitely aware of close-in fees.
    But what you're saying that each "transaction" would essentially be at cost, i.e. let's say I make a class change to my inbound flight 4 days before it is to depart; would I could essentially be charged:

$75 change of class fee + $75 change in connection fee?

Thanks for the table. It definitely has answered one of my questions. I should get the itinerary as close as possible on the actual flights that I want. i.e. CDG-MUC-ORD on LH to avoid at least the $75 change in connection fee. Or what does a "change" constitute?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changing the one award from your wife's account to yours will quite likely be a cancel/refund and new award. That means paying the redeposit fee as a silver and then the new award close-in fee as a general member.

For the other award you might get lucky and only be charged one change fee.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, unless you try to get it waived by calling, which may also cost $25, as opposed to doing it online. But booking less than 21 days before departure you pay $50-$75 "regardless of booking channel"...:(

A few questions/possibilities and answers:
    1. What carrier are your current reservations with? If UA and you switch to LH, that is a change of airline: GM: $75; Silver: $50.
    2. Are you changing from CDG-MUC-ORD to CDG-BRU-ORD: That is a change of connection; same fees as above but cumulative.
    3. It seems that you wish to change from Y to F or J: That is a change of cabin; same fee as in (1), but not cumulative with (1).
    4. If you should find a different award type (e.g., saver where it was standard or vice versa), then there will also be a fee; same fee as in (1), but not cumulative with (1).

Fees can often be avoided by calling to request the changes and eating the call-in fee, which may be acceptable if you are successful.

Many options but most unpleasant...

6. chinesescouser

Status Points:
    Definitely ALL unpleasant.
    At least hopefully I can avoid some fees by hoping to match my ideal routing. CDG-MUC-ORD. Right now, it will have to be on UA for the long haul because of availability, however I'm hoping to change to LH.

I miss my 1K :*(