making an award booking via alitalia phone system

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by elsewyse, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone here have experience making a partner award booking via phone through Alitalia? I'm trying to go DAY - TBS using Amex MR points, and they seem to charge the fewest points for it (50k vs 60k for pretty much anyone else), but I've heard their phone booking system can be kind of terrible.

Alternately, can anyone suggest a better use of those MR points for this trip?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't worked with alitalia, but your options are AZ via FCO, KL via AMS, and OK via PRG. AZ may be the easiest to track down. The limiting factor will likely be your ability to find the domestic space on DL. Figure out if it is possible to get to JFK, DTW, ATL, or MSP with a low award on your desired dates via 1-way searches on delta.com, and also if it is possible to leave from alternate airports such as DTW or IND.

You'll be in the best position if you find the space yourself and then call to book only.

3. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I'm going to have to play around with this a bit more, as I'm having zero luck finding availability on AZ, but I'll keep looking.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    AZ availability is pretty reasonable, but I did just think of something else you need to concern yourself with. AZ may pass on fuel surcharges, which could make your award ticket cost as much as $500 or more in addition to the miles. It may be worthwhile to eat the extra 10k and book elsewhere. I would at least get the taxes and fees info before transferring miles.

5. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    You're right, and I've been trying to track down what the fees would be on that, but having little luck (I'm sure it's probably something I'm doing wrong, and probably the same reason I can't seem to find AZ award availability).

I'm leaning more and more towards transferring the points to ANA and booking on LOT, anyways, just because award availability is so good (most every flight has space). I'd have to find the extra 9k points... somewhere. ANA does have a 5000 mile credit card offer, but it seems like such a waste of a credit pull.

Otherwise I could use my United miles, I suppose, but I'm trying to build up enough of those for a nice trip to Europe down the line with my mother-- actually buy business class tickets for once, stay in fancy hotels, etc...

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are you searching for the AZ availability? I would recommend against using the alitalia website as it does not seem to work. It may need miles in the account.

Expertflyer or delta.com can search AZ availability, as can airfrance.us.

7. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Er, that would probably be the issue, then.

I've also tried Delta, but their site doesn't recognize that TBS exists.

Recommendations?

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    use expertflyer.com (pay tool, but there is a free trial and I find value in having the tool as well) to search for the tbs segment, or airfrance.us (the calendar may be inaccurate).

Find and hold the rest of the award on delta.com.

Call delta to add the TBS segments and complete the booking.

elsewyse likes this.
  9. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks!