Making a reservation via the Gold Line....

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kwidhalm, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! Quick question and possibly a stupid one. I was looking on kayak for a trip to DTW in August and the flights that worked for me showed as $470.80 and directed me to the US Air website. I played around on the US website and that was the lowest price on US metal with the times that I wanted. I had a $100 e-voucher that I wanted to use so I called the Gold line. I gave the agent the flight #'s and times that I wanted and she came back with a price of $355.80 or $255.80 with the voucher. Can anyone tell me why there is such a big change in pricing from the website to the agent? I am ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPLAINING!!!! Just want to know for future reference if it is worth my while to phone in or booking my own.

Thanks!

Kate :)

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always been told the rez agent is able to see more flight options than the third party websites.
    This goes for all airlines. The agents are looking directly into the global distribution system which gives them access to all flights. I usually use the airline websites and have been pretty happy, I only call when I can not find a decent fare and that ususally only yields me savings in the tens of dollars. :)

3. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense. I was slightly confused since I didn't give her any room to play with. :) I told her what flight I wanted complete with flight number and times so I was pleasantly surprised when she came back with a price that was almost $120.00 cheaper WIHOUT using the e-voucher. Love saving money. :)

4. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have often found small discrepancies between the website and call centre, usually in favour of the call centre. Never an amount that large, however. Is it possible that the price decreased between when you checked online and called? What is the website quoting now?

5. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked the website again as if I was going to purchase another trip. Same flights and same dates. It still comes out to $471.00. I'll just take this cheap fare as a sign that I was meant to visit Michigan since I hate going there. If it wasn't for the niece and nephews I would never step foot in DTW. Bleh!