Making a parody lands FA in hot water

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the more outspoken AA FA's (he's been blogging for a while, though technically not as an AA employee) has landed himself in a heap of trouble thanks to a couple parody videos about the new contract offers.

[​IMG]

Ouch.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the videos or publicly calling his management a "gang of thieves" is what pushed them over the edge?

Microwave and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, while I like Gailen, the videos are completely against any sort of social media policy. Now, if he had done a few things differently (like having Bobby doing them), there would be nothing that could stand up in any formal hearing as even if he did an article about them, it could easily be argued as reporting the news. I hope they don't come down too hard on him, as his national platform could do some nasty PR damage to the company.

canucklehead likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being publicly critical of your employer (biting the hand that feeds you?) is rarely a good idea.

5. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without getting into the minefield of employer/employee relations, I did love the "Aluminum Lady" sketch. Not only was the video entertaining, I am a sucker for the Playskool little people planes. It was one the first toys that I remember playing with as a kid and I think that it help to lay the groundwork for my flying addiction!:D

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact, it's usually a bad idea...at least at the moment it is. LOADS of cases goihng through courts on both sides of the pond of employees utilizing Youtube, Facebook, etc. to air their concerns. Whilst many disgruntled employees are being supported in their "rights" to "free speech", employers are also being supported in their enforcement of media- and public-facing policies.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as "free speech" when it comes to the interaction between an employee and an employer. That pesky first amendment applies to the government taking action, not corporations. It is a PR mess in which neither side is 100% right nor wrong, but it certainly isn't a constitutional law discussion.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite honestly, he deserves this....employment is a 2 sided equation. One side can always terminate it for whatever reason they can come up with.....better yet, let the FA say his/her piece, but then let the airline perhaps discuss just how good this employee is or isn't in a public forum. Maybe release their job performance evaluations...... That would be fair.

LETTERBOY and Skye1 like this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The meeting must be over....chalk up another tally for the unemployment numbers for next week.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I don't think it's quite as easy in the case of a flight attendant with a union contract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

At-will employment is a doctrine of American law that defines an employment relationship in which either party can break the relationship with no liability, provided there was no express contract for a definite term governing the employment relationship and that the employer does not belong to a collective bargaining group (i.e., has not recognized a union).

Otherwise there would have been no hearing with Union representation. In my (and many other) companies the likely consequence might have been termination without further discussion or hearing.

If you want to talk about your workplace in public, be smart and think about the consequences before opening your mouth or hitting "publish" on that blog post.

Microwave likes this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From the article:

American declared bankruptcy in November and announced this month that it planned to cut 2,300 flight attendants.

David said his bosses demanded that he remove the videos and summoned him to a disciplinary meeting on Friday that he did not attend.

If this means he gets fired and someone else gets to keep their job, maybe that's a good outcome for someone.

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Watch the guy file a law suit against american for wrongful discharge........

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with that.

15. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of how funny (or possibly accurate) the videos are, in contentious cases like this, it all comes down to the policy and the meeting about it. The meeting would have included a review of that policy, a review of the employee's signature to several things, inclusive of their understanding of it, agreement to adhere to it, and an understanding of the consequencues of failing to do so. The meeting would have continued with a discussion of whether or not that policy was violated, and if so, what action the relevant/HR-related disciplinary policy would prescribe. If the outcome of the meeting is appeal-able, that possibility and the procedure for doing so would be reviewed as well.

The question is not solely the content of the videos, but whether or not policy was breached in this manner of "sharing" them.

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the question is... Did he get fired for this?

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. But it seems he posted another video, which can't exactly help his case if he's at all interested in maintaining employment with AA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ZoNysZkXY

Then again, his twitter profile describes him as a lover of Virgin America, so maybe that's where he fits in better...

https://twitter.com/#!/SkySteward

Jetiquette® Ambassador of Civilized Travel | Lover of Kimpton Hotels, Virgin America, Pan Am Bags, National Car Rental, Royal Caribbean & AAdvantage

If I had to guess, the whole episode is just a plan to drive more people to his blog etc. and jettison the whole "grunt" part of his work (you know... actually serving people on a flight).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any sympathy for this guy. Publicly calling out one's employer is, to put it mildly, dumb.

19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, he already makes more from his other projects than as a flight attendant anyway. If anything, because of that fact, he has the comfort in being able to make these videos for his friends because he does not need the job. He has positioned himself to be able to offer the feelings of the flight attendants in a way that most are not able to due to fear of job loss.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you know this or is it conjecture?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    TheBeerHunter and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. That's why I'm so surprised they took the bait.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And he has posted a new video today:

25. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    cwpfly, TheBeerHunter and LETTERBOY like this.