Majority of Travelers Use Frequent Flyer Miles for Airfare

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sobore, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...e-frequent-flyer-miles-for-airfare-2012-02-15

Not surprisingly, most travelers prefer to use their accrued frequent flyer miles toward more airline travel. According to a survey conducted by GO Airport Express, a Chicago-based ground transportation provider, a whopping 88 percent apply miles toward ticket purchases.

The company, which provides airport shuttles to and from O'Hare International Airport and Midway Airports, polled travelers nationwide: more than 380 people responded.
    Just six percent of participants reported using their miles toward hotels. Four percent use them for products and one percent donate them to charity.

uggboy, TheBeerHunter, Chimpy and 5 others like this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    The reason I use my points more for airfare than a hotel is that I care more about being comfortable on long flights than being extra comfortable in my room. I know that I can often get a higher $/pt ratio from high end hotels than from flights, but I value my comfort on the flight much more.

As long as hotels meet my standard of cleanliness and location, I'm good. I'd rather fly in business to an SPG Cat 4 hotel than fly coach to a Cat 6/7.

Short haul or domestic trips, however, is a different story.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use them for OTHER people to travel...often to see me in the UK or to meet on the East Coast.

:)

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I would love to come see you in the UK if you have any extra miles to spare!

kenbo, uggboy, kyunbit and 6 others like this.
  5. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, its much better to have a comfortbale flight compared to passing out in a hotel room after a long day of......... at your destitnation, why waste the points on a room which you really dont want to spend anytime in anyway

uggboy, sobore and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

You are trapped on a plane. No way around that. Might as way make it as comfortable as possible.

Hotel...I'd rather be exploring.

uggboy, sobore and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My friends and family do an excellent job consuming them....295k last year. :) Already used over half that this year. :) With my KBL trip, I'll be out of the earning loop for a while and accrual will slow down. ;)

If you all want to pay for your tix, you're more than welcome to use my spare room. :)

8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the offer! :) If we make it to the UK again, we'll have to try for a UK mini-DO! :)

uggboy likes this.
  9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine)

Um, a "nationwide" survey with "more than" 380 respondents hardly seems definitive! :eek:

OTOH, I hope most people are using their miles for airfare. Most of the other redemption options offer terrible ROI -- although, again, a mile is worth what a mile is worth to you at the end of the day.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. gm9928

gm9928 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've used my airline miles mostly for flights, occasionally for gift cards (if the redemption value is worth it) and only once for a hotel room. Now, my more-flexible credit card points, I use for travel, in terms of hotel or gas gift cards, lift tickets, etc...

uggboy likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And why would a ground transportion provider care -- were they thinking of taking miles as payment?

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  12. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    There had to be an ulterior motive. Maybe they were just trying to get their name out there -- the story got picked up, so free advertising.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.