Major snow predicted for Midwest ORD notice for mile runners

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by estnet, Jan 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's good I'm flying via MIA tomorrow instead of ORD! ;)

Jubileesmom likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When did 5-6 inches become "major" snow? Growing up in Maine, we didn't even break out snow boots with that kind of dusting. :)

TheBeerHunter and Jubileesmom like this.
  4. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the snowfall has been minimal so far this year as it has been here, a 6 inch fall can still paralyze an area. People just seem to forget how to deal with it. Lol. Christmas Eve day here when it snowed 2 inches in a few hours, they were wrecking right and left off of I-90 and everywhere else. Just being stupid. We can get a lot of snowfall here too, just haven't seen much of it down in the valley's yet this winter;)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicago was downright warm and balmy just a few days ago with no sign of ice or snow.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  6. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    an half of inch of snow here in the ATL, will paralyze the whole town. All the milk and bread gone from the stores. :rolleyes:

Jubileesmom and iolaire like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    UGH, some never learn how to deal with it. Give me the days when most cars had rear wheel drive yet folks knew how to drive in winter weather. Now everyone seems to have front/all wheel drive & for the life of them, they don't know how to drive in snow. (Rant off)
    Agred to a certain extent, 5-6" is minor snow for ORD if the snow is coming down at a uniform rate with no/little wind, today's storm is supposed to have strong winds with dumpings of snow creating very difficult conditions.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    DTW should be fine, about 4 inches predicted in 48 hours --- Delta is indicating a weather waiver for ORD and MKE though.

DTWBOB

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm lucky I decided not to make a run for EXP in one go. :rolleyes:

pokerhammy likes this.
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I blame the weather channel. Growing up in Maine and a snow storm hit, it was no big deal. The weatherman just said how much was expected and that was that, no "extended coverage", no panic groc shopping. These days, TWC gets everybody all wound up By going to defcon 1 because 3-6 inches of snow is expected. Makes me chuckle how soft many folks have become.

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    My main concern, posting here, was for travel disruptions, esp. for mile runs since a lot of us are doing these to ord, not to start a debate about "major";)

Left ord at 6:50am on the 12th and all was fine, but AA and UA both have travel waivers up so hope all your MR go well.

12. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chicago weather is so crazy. On Wednesday it was a beautiful day, I went for a long walk. Then the next day it's cold, snowing, and with the wind the snow drifts made driving very tricky. It was really hard to believe those two days came right in a row.

estnet likes this.