Major problems with io5 iPad update!

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Oct 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently in Thailand far from any apple store and made the mistake of updating my iPad. So far have run into major problems like

Pinch and zoom doesn't work in mail (from a web search apparently apple decided to do this)

Gps seems not to work nor does wifi locator as I cannot get my location in places where I have before

iTunes icon takes me to the app store and the only way I can see my music and videos is separately with those 2 icons when I used to be able to see both under iTunes. To add insult to injury I have to go through many steps to see a list rather than the icons which now show up with no apparent way to choose my default

I keep getting messages of do I want to download iBooks no matter how many times I refuse

There are other annoyances. I HATE THIS OS

Web searches haven't helped. Is there any way to go back to the previous OS?

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    It didn't cause me as much trouble as it did on the iPhone. I went down to 1 bar of reception (and less than that in reality) in downtown LA and Las Vegas. In Vancouver 30 mins after landing all I had was "searching...". Ready to smash my phone.

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a clean restore will solve all your problems. I updated both my iPad and iPhone fine to iOS 5 last weekend and both run fine. I think the new OS is a great upgrade. I didn't do it while I was on a trip though as I wanted to make sure that everything was in fact in working order before I needed to head somewhere.

dmel likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    i did a clean restore and zoom still doesn't work in mail (hotmail or gmail). Apparently it works on ipad2 - back in the Us and store genius bar suggested clean restore. Spent some time tonight doing restore - but still no luck. I have and ipad1 anyone with that version that has mail/zoom working?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning to upgrade my iPad2 and my wife's iPad1 this weekend. Hope it will go smoothly.

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did upgrade my iPad 2 on the day the iOS 5 came out and thankfully so far it worked great without a glitch. I keep encouraging everyone I know to upgrade to iOS 5 but so far most are quite reluctant and not ready to take the plunge.

lwkatya likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if I knew then what I know now I NEVER would have ug'd. I foolishly thought I could go back if I had problems, but no can't do that - just days of wasted time :( My android tab is getting a lot more use!

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will add one thing, make sure is that Find My IPhone is actually working for you if you set up a new iCloud acct on one of your devices (sign into iCloud and see if it can find your device). I had to turn the setting on and off for it to work properly the first time. Fortunately I checked this before I really needed to use the service in the real world.

dmel likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Resolution of pinch/zoom problem:D Apparently there is a setting on the bottom of the hotmail page that says either "mobile" or "pc mode". This somehow was reset to mobile which doesn't allow zoom, simply a click solved the problem (after a days of lost time backing up, restoring, etc without fixing anything).

That said I still wish I hadn't ug'd. There are lots of other changes I don't like:(

10. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't even get my Ipad V1 to update. It failed with an error on backup. I think Itunes cannot deal with backup very well. It's just a terrible piece of software.

miles and smiles and estnet like this.
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - wish mine had failed then I'd have the old version which was adequate (and much less buggy)

stimpy likes this.