Major Problem with Award Availability on AF using DL Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by HoKo, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been using the KLM site to search for availability on a DL award ticket (flying AF metal). I have found seats available at the Classic Award level for all of the necessary flights but I haven't been able to get any of those flights to pull up on the DL site even when searching segment by segment. I just tried HUCA with 4 different DL reps (including one supervisor) and none of them could see any of the space that I wanted. Am I correct in thinking that anything showing at the Classic level on KLM's site is available to DL?

One of the reps gave me a version of the age-old excuse that "Just because it is available on KLM's site doesn't mean that DL has access to it, KLM makes more seats available to their members and DL doesn't necessarily have access to those seats."

1. Is this true?
    2. If so, is this applicable in my situation since I'm using KLM to search for AF space so if KLM can see it then so should DL?

To make matters even more strange I just noticed that the KLM site is saying there is only availability in economy but the DL site is displaying seats in business. Despite the DL site showing availability in business multiple reps claimed this space didn't exist even when I told them I'm looking at it on my computer screen right now. w t f?

In case it matters here is what I'm trying to get:

9/22/12 AF39 IAD-CDG - Showing YS9 on KVS
    9/23/12 AF1232 CDG-ATH - Showing YS9

9/29/12 AF1233 ATH-CDG - Showing YS2
    9/30/12 AF28 CDG-IAD - Showing YS9

TIA

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first flight listed shows no availability in expertflyer. Perhaps this is a phantom availability issue. Can you select the flights and click through to where you would book an flying blue?

Since klm and af use same ff program, any theoretical flying blue only availability would be open to either.

I did not check the others.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So there appear to be multiple issues at play:

1. The recent addition of a new type of "Classic Award" is skewing KVS results
    2. Delta's site being a broken piece of crap (per usual) and not being able to find space that both EF and KLM site are saying is available

Further details available on FT for anyone interested in reading the in-depth conversation: http://bit.ly/P3Y03S

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This new "classic" award is really hurting inventory. Another poster over at FT was looking to get to athens next year, and most all of the AF/KLM connections to get there had all of their availability in the "new classic".

5. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's what I've been seeing as well. Tons of inventory in the new classic but the "traditional" classic is extremely sparse. Yet another devaluation in Skypesos...

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new classic enhancement is almost a year old - I haven't done exhaustive searches regarding intra-europe availability, but it seems to be coming up more often now.

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you think that availability is bad, just look at BA releasing award seats. Starting with flights on 19 July, BA has released virtually no award seats for flights between European cities. For example, CDG to LHR, they have released zero award seats for over 3 weeks. Prior to the 19th every day is available.

Wish I knew when BA will start releasing seats.

8. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah I actually noticed that as well. I have a Oneworld Explorer award that has me flying JFK-LHR(AA)-ATH(BA)-LHR(BA)-JFK(AA)-DCA(AA) and I was trying to tweak the dates on the intra europe legs and noticed it was slim pickings. Why do you think they've stopped releasing award seats all of a sudden.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just wish I knew when they would start allowing awards again. I am trying to get a set of flights from CDG to LAX in the later part of July and no premium cabin awards are available on AA (for the most part because of BA) or on *A (part of the *A problem is that LH is not releasing premium awards until a couple of weeks before travel).