Major CC purchase, does it make sense to pay the 3%

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Jellypods, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jellypods

Jellypods Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of cash, give the vendor the CC and pay him the CC fee to get the miles? 10k Euro, 1 mile per Euro. Fee is 3%.

marcwint55, Gargoyle and Jett Rink like this.
  2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally wouldn't pay 3% (or 3 cents per mile) unless it was an easy way to complete a minimum spending on a card to get the sign-up bonus.

3. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the miles gained will top off your account for premium award travel, if available (or projected to be available), then yes.

marcwint55 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    is the vendor charging the fee, or is the 3% because of the foreign transaction fee on the CC you're going to use? wondering whether you could put on a card without a foreign trans fee...

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is they don't want to pay a vendor transaction fee on a 10K purchase, so the only way they'll run the transaction is to charge you for the fee.

My dad used to have a VW car dealership and had someone come in once that wanted to buy a brand-new Beetle for sticker price on their credit card. He was willing to eat the 3% fee on a full-price sale.

6. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, if a vendor choses to accept CC, they should 'eat' the fee, and not charge the fee forward to their customers... It's a business decision to accept CCs, and if you do, you get the advantage of the fact that people will be more likely to buy (people just tend to buy quicker if they can charge to a CC), and thus more revenue...

Make the calculation whether the increased revenue offsets the CC fees... And then decide whether or not to accept CC, but whichever it is, don't charge the fee forward to your customers...

*Steps off of soapbox*

viguera likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was explicitly forbidden for merchants to pass the processing fee to customers that pay with a credit card. I'm sure there's verbiage about this on whatever merchant agreement they need to sign before being allowed to process payments this way.

8. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some countries and CC companies, yes... Not for others... Varies on what local law permits, and how the local CC offices view matters...

9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can probably buy the miles for less than 3%. I wouldn't pay more than 1.5%.

10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is prohibited in the merchant agreement, but good luck enforcing it. Ever been to a coffee shop/gas station/corner store that had a handmade "debit/credit minimum purchase $5" sign?

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I've called American Express on a few of them. The signs come down within a few days of calling. Sending a cellphone picture of the sign helps. :)

Visa/Mastercard not so easy...the card-issuing banks punt to Visa or MC head office...and I've not spent the time to try and navigate their organizations.

I don't mean to be a pain to these small businesses...but accepting the card for all transactions is part of the deal of accepting the Amex card. Don't like it, don't take Amex. Simple as that.

guberif likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking... the agreements specifically state no minimum and no maximum (well, your credit limit is another thing :) ).

I think some merchants are obviously peeved at this (and no doubt Dodd-Frank will make a mess of things for consumers in the long run) but I find that a lot of them don't know what they're allowed or not allowed to do -- or perhaps do and just look the other way. And I blame consumers just the same... most people don't know about cash discounts and think that paying more for gas on credit happens because the fees are being passed on to them.