Major BA Visa 2-4-1 Hassle! Need help!

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Aug 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:

Wow - what a hassle, especially after spending hours on hold!

We have a cruise next June from St Petersburg to Copenhagen. Booked flights as soon as they opened up and had to settle for flights that were far from perfect, assuming I could change later.

Had to book FC from PHL to DME (thru LHR) and CPH to JFK. The return flight was booked on July 3rd - we wanted the 4th but it was not available. Finally some flights from Newark opened up and I was able to change the outbound from PHL to FC EWR to DME.

It's been two weeks and both outbound flights still show up on my record locator online. Today July 4th flights to EWR opened up and I called to first of all make that change and secondly ask them to complete the outbound change. An absolutely amazing time on hold and finally got an agent who was helpful but after lots of issues on his end, asked to call me back.

Just got off the phone and he stated that basically, they never should have been able to ticket me as they did since DME and CPH are two different zones and it should have been two one-way redemptions. Fine, I said, but they could not since it was a 2-4-1 redemption. Ahhh, he said and put me on hold again. And please - understand he was very, very nice.

Came back and said the first booking should never have gone through but he can close his eyes and leave it as is. But there is no way to, basically, do an open-jaw award ticket if the tickets are from two different zones.

This all seems nuts - if the first agent could book it, why can't he? Is this correct? Is there anything I can do to get the tickets I prefer or am I stuck leaving from PHL and coming back a day earlier than I wanted?

Very much appreciate any feedback here - I've found that telephone wait times on BA are ridiculous but that once you get through, the agents are wonderful. This is very frustrating.

Many thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    hang up and call back policy?

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's an option but I was hoping someone would have details about policy and what I can tell them to make it work. Even more amazing is that RT in FC SHOULD cost 180,000 to Denmark and 195,000 to Moscow but the original agent who successfully completed the itinerary did it for 150,000 miles. I knew it was a mistake as I figured is should be 187,500 - halfway between the two zones. Crazy!

4. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard this before, and I can't understand why BA doesn't give you the option of paying for the higher priced zone both ways. (Or is that what you're doing already?)

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think these coupons are meant for round-trip travel, or one one-way trip.

They allow open jaws within zone to be reasonable, but a multi-zone open jaw feels like it is pushing it. You got lucky that the original agent (a) booked this and (b) charged you significantly less than they should have.

This is one time where I wouldn't keep calling. You got lucky on the original booking - I wouldn't push it. British customer service standards are a bit different (less consumer oriented) than we're used to here in the Colonies. It's not inconceivable that a subsequent agent would try to cancel your ticket completely.

While it sounds like you're not thrilled with your booking, getting two R/T F tickets on BA to Central Europe for 150k miles is a pretty darned good redemption. What do these tickets cost at retail, $10k each?

misman likes this.
  6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the same rule as for ex-UK redemptions using Amex 2-4-1 vouchers, and it is a rule that is definitely applied. You got really lucky, initially, on at least two counts (being undercharged and booking something that isn't allowed) so I also think you shouldn't try to push your luck.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now I'm having issues with the other couple. We've traveled well before. I told them I wanted to change the itinerary and she is very upset since she feels it is very important that we arrive in Moscow together (never had to do this in any other major city). Never been there so it's not like I have any special information.

Let me cut to the chase. What I may do is cancel the booking and rebook a 2-4-1 Newark to Heathrow. I could then get two one way tickets, first to Moscow from LHR and back to LHR from CPH.

Looks pretty straightforward but I have a major concern. If I do it that way, I have two unrelated itineraries to get to Moscow and to get home to Newark. Does that mean that BA will not check my luggage thru and that I will have to get my luggage each time in LHR and re-check it in? That's the only potential hassle I see and I need to avoid it. If no one knows, I'll do the 30 minutes on-hold phone call! Thanks again.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries: If your connection is BA-BA, then your luggage will be checked through even if the connection is on two separate tickets.

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks.

10. barcelona

barcelona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also been able to get them to check through even on separate tickets. It sometimes takes a long time at the check in counter however.

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's because some check-in agents are more practised than others in the art of manually building a bag tag. As the automation grows and the number of permitted exceptions diminishes, many agents simply don't have enough experience of doing it. Sometimes, they have simply forgotten how to do it and need to phone someone to get step-by-step instructions.

Occasionally, there's a bolshie one who tries bluster to cover up their lack of knowledge, usually along the lines of "I won't do it because BA has a policy of not doing this". Somewhere in every airline's training programme, there ought to be a reminder that some of the airline's frequent flyers will know more about the airline's policies than the agents do.