Maintain your Platinum status with fewer nights

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Nov 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the following email from Marriott in late September and it was immediately posted on "My Promotion Central" in my Marriott online account, so there was no action required by me other than making sure that I have enough nights by the end of the year to maintain Platinum until end of February 2014:
    Fortunately, I have enough nights planned and already met the challenge and we are Platinum until end of February 2014 ... but what do you think if I did not have any nights planned? Wouldn't be better to wait until Platinum expires and take another challenge for only 18 nights?

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    18 nights is better than 20 and they give you the platinum immediately when you start the challenge.

aptraveler and Kalboz like this.
  3. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely ask for a challenge once it's run out, you can either do 18 nights or 9 stays. Now I'm planning on 9 stays so that Mr. Nacho can run for Plat in Feb.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  7. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is Marriott Platinum worth it if it achieved through credit card spend? Would you be better off with the spend on another card like Sapphire and just pay for your own breakfast?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi prof,

Well, if you are never staying at Marriott's, what's the point of being Platinum?

Being Platinum does give you other benefits when staying at Marriotts, like 50% additional points, the arrival amenity and possible upgrades, but if you are never staying with them, that is of little value. Even the breakfast, if you happen to stay at a Courtyard or a resort for one of your few stays, it's not included.

In short, if you don't use the stays, what's the point of having it?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Thomask and Kalboz like this.
  9. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Thanks GenevaFlyer. I do use them for award travel but only a few times per year. Normally at Category 8 and 9 properties.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. profpeabody

Status Points:
    I should also add that I am 197 nights away from Lifetime platinum and looking for ways to speed up the process since I no longer travel for biz like I once did. Any suggestions?

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their credit card gives 15 nights credit every year. Those count too. Free stays do not, though.

profpeabody likes this.
  12. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, if you just want to get to lifetime plat, the best approach is to be Silver for a couple of years with 40-45 nights per year ... with 30-35 rollover nights, that helps significantly. :)

Counsellor and bigx0 like this.
  13. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas. Applied for the credit card and was approved so that will be 30 nights over the next 2 years. Not sure what you mean by being silver for a couple of years to get platinum lifetime. I have been platinum for a couple of years and still not lifetime. Maybe I am missing something - can you give some guidance? thanks again.

14. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

What I'm saying is that if you end the year as Silver, with 40 nights, 30 nights rollover, thus bringing you to 70 nights towards lifetime. (The maximum you could rollover as gold is 24 nights, and only as Plat with 105+ nights can you carry over 30 nights or more)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

profpeabody likes this.