Mainland to HNL UA/CO post merger upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by airevac, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. airevac

airevac Active Member

Status Points:

"New CPU geography for United, Continental and Copa. Our rationale for offering CPUs will almost entirely be based on how the premium cabin of the flight is marketed. Simply put - markets where the premium product is predominantly our domestic standard will be eligible for CPUs, and all others will not. Based on our current network, this is how our CPU program shakes out geographically:

Mainland U.S. (except p.s. markets JFK-LAX/SFO), Alaska and Canada
    Hawaii (California to/from Hawaii, plus any other market operating with a domestic premium product, such as Chicago-Honolulu)"

Am i reading this right that post merger the upgrades will follow United's current program of CPU from Cali and other mainland domestic standard products? I'm HNL based and about to engage in a MR whirlwind and want validate that it will be worth the effort.

Mahalo in advance for your help![​IMG]

IDGflygirl and catgirl like this.
  2. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think your understanding is correct.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the general idea. Flights from the west coast, provided they aren't marketed as BusinessFirst flights, will be eligible for CPU.

catgirl likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is more than just west coast flights, though. ORD-HNL on the 772 domestic config will remain eligible, for example.

Currently the markets which will not be eligible for CPUs are IAH, EWR and DEN. It is not clear what the plans are for the fleet serving Hawaii going forward but as it is scheduled right now that's the way it is.

catgirl, Gtitan and airevac like this.
  5. airevac

airevac Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input. I'm honored as a frequent follower of your blog;-)

Any tips on a MR from this location? I have 6 weeks to get 30k for 1p ish status for the year. Work had me flying Delta all last year.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As somone who will go the islands for a few weeks or a few minutes;), all I can say is just keep your eyes open. Last year there were sales for about 550 a/i from the East Coast to HNL. HNL sales are not as prevalent as they used to be, but they do happen.

Aloha and Mahalo Nui

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Best bet is probably to hop to the mainland and then run from there. You're more likely to find good deals. I think there are some really good fares to China and Tokyo right now, but I'm not sure of the minimum stay issues and China also has a visa requirement.

8. airevac

airevac Active Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts on what a minimun CPM for a dedicated MR should be? The best i see from this location are around the 5.5 range. No luck on the magical sub 3.5 that the mainland US sees.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like 3cpEQM for a straight run but those are hard to find. If you can get to the mainland for ~5-6cpEQM and then get a couple 3cpEQM runs before heading back that could help average down the costs for you.

ETA: Looks like SFO-MIA/TPA is pretty cheap if you can find the G inventory and play with the routing. Might work out for you.

IDGflygirl and airevac like this.
  10. airevac

airevac Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks,That sounds like a good idea. I'm getting about 7-7.5 to SFO and then it is up to what "deals" can be had from there. FYI-there is a SFO-MIA deal for 3.5. I would end up averaging around 5.

I have found R/T flights from HNL-DXB for 5.5. I haven't been there yet. Would that be a route/destination you would do and if so how much time should i spend on the ground in order to make the long trek worth it? It'll net about 24k

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you nest a couple turns from the mainland once you're over this way? That would up the points accrued and average down the CPM numbers a bit. BWI-LAS is looking reasonably cheap right now, too.

As for how long to spend, I've done straight turns, overnights and long weekends with longhaul runs and survived them all. If you want to turn it into a short trip then do it. I know nothing about Dubai but I'd bet a day or two could get you the highlights without much trouble.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    A warning on reading the language too closely is that CO is not honoring it on flights containing a BF product (not just marketed as one). The best example is CO 72/73 SFO-HNL. Very few have been able to use a CR1 to upgrade and no luck being waitlisted ahead of time. Interestingly, twice I have been upgraded at the gate on these flights.

Much discussion about htis on FT forums. A few have been lucky and talked to the right agent, but the standard answer when calling is no upgrade unless you wan to use a SWU.

airevac likes this.