Mailing a transportation voucher in

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mikeschu, Nov 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to use up a transportation voucher, so I put an itinerary on hold last night and called in this morning to purchase. AA took my credit card and voucher info, then gave me two options:

1. Go to the airport and see the ticketing office.
    2. Mail it in.

I have 12 days to complete the process (of sending the voucher or visiting the ticket office).

This week will be a mess at the airport, and the office hours are annoying (they're closed 5-7pm every day?!?) so I am considering using the USPS to my advantage.

Has anyone mailed in their vouchers? If so, how has it worked out?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have and it worked fine. I'd be slightly concerned about it with only 12 days but it should work.

mikeschu likes this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flight is in May, so I have time. It just has to get there and as long as it's postmarked within 12 days of today I'm good (updated original post). I'll have to go to the post office to get delivery confirmation though. :(

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they tell you to put the travel date on the front corner of the envelope? I've sent in a dozen over the years and never a problem, but then never this close, either.

mikeschu likes this.
  5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did not, but I Googled and found the TOBB thread that said to do that. Fortunately the flight isn't until May; I just need to get it there in 12 days (or at least postmarked by then).

6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I answered in the box, don't waste your time and money paying for extra services just push it in an envelope. Don't worry about the post mark thing, it will be post marked the day you mail it so you got till like Dec 7th to send it.

Also I think unless you're and EXP there is a $25 airport ticketing fee, you might be able to talk them out of that fee also.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    $5 for certified and returned receipt isn't bad; it was better than driving to SAN (home airport) and pay parking + extra costs (time and money) to ticket at the airport. If I was flying in the next week or two I would have easily made it there earlier to complete the ticket at the counter.

Also - this was a paper cert and I used part of it on another itinerary (ticketed at the airport); they waived the ticketing fees since the voucher said it wasn't redeemable online. That would be exceptionally bad customer service to fee someone for using a paper-only voucher!

8. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you spend $5 to know only your letter arrives. What does that do for you in the real picture? So it arrives and isn't processed correctly, you call and complain and blame AA, likely you have to remail or It doesn't arrive and you call and complain and blame the USPS, likely you have to remail it. Both ways it is out of your control, also USPS doesn't trace products until I think 14days after drop off. You save yourself $5 and just mail it and doesn't get processed, you call and can blame either AA or USPS, likely you have to remail. Just make sure you keep a copy of the voucher. I have pdf's of all of mine.

The ticketing fee seems stupid but I was told it should apply to any airport ticketed ticket, I feel this is mostly to keep people from using airports as ticketing agents, its a little lengthy process. Although my last voucher was from a unused ticket. The packet I got mailed said it had t be mailed in and not useable online and subject to airport ticketing fees.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    flyforawg likes this.
  9. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has always made me nervous with the mail in process, but I have done it several times without a problem. It seems to work fine.

10. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: Received the "ticketing confirmation" email this morning. :) I sent it from SAN postmarked November 24th. Flight was $12 cheaper too.

The flight's in May so I wasn't too worried about the length of time it was taking, but I was going to inquire if I didn't hear anything soon.

11. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad all went well! :)

It's such an archaic and tedious process - but in my experience with several dozen vouchers being mailed in, it's worked just fine. A little nerve-wracking at times due to the lack of transparency in terms of where your reservations is "in the process," but the vast majority of people don't seem to have any issues with their tickets. Hope it stays that way. <crossing fingers, knocking on wood, and all that jazz>

12. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe once US is integrated in, they'll switch to electronic vouchers. I would think that would be cheaper to AA than what they are doing now.