Magnetic World Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by OceanBreezes, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I collect magnets from my travels and would like to find a magnetic Map to display them on. Has anyone ever done this? Any recommendations?

uggboy, Mapsmith, traveler and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paging MP member Mapsmith... :)

uggboy, bananajax, Mapsmith and 2 others like this.
  3. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be cool.

I used to be a print buyer for a retail company. You can print on magnetic material and mount to a board. Hard part would be finding a high res image of the map you want to use.

uggboy, Mapsmith and traveler like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here I am.

Many maps can be mounted on metal that then makes the magnets (supposedly stick). However, it depends on the size of the map. Mounting a 4 foot by 6 foot National Geographic map onto a metal sheet can be quite problematic--and expensive. A sheet of metal that size would weigh about 10 to 12 pounds if it is simply sheeting. For something maybe 1/8" thick, the weight would be in the neighborhood of 25 to 40 pounds. Another problem with thinner sheeting (Think roof flashing) is that often it is galvanized. The Galvanization process usually uses a zinc/tin process to keep the steel from rusting. But this will make it difficult to make the map adhere to the metal. (anyone who has tried to paint a corrugated steel barrier will verify the paint does not adhere)

So. . . the solutions involve decoupaging the map to an untreated steel surface or downsizing to a smaller map.

If you go to a smaller map, then you will probably run out of room for your magnets.

My suggestion is a simple map with stick on dots with the date of the trip. Next to the map, in a complementary frame, frame a piece of metal that will display the magnets. Then you can put stick on dots next to the magnets that will reference the dots on the map.

We have done this for several customers that are tracking their travels.

In Ocean Breezes area, I would suggest Mapsco in Fort Worth, (Mapsco has closed several stores after being purchased by Universal Map which then was purchased by Kappa Map Publishing company) However a cursory search of Google shows that they still have an office in Fort Worth as well as one at 11811 Preston Rd,Dallas,TX75230 with a phone number of
    972) 960-1414

Be forewarned they may not still be there. The recession hit the Map publishing business HARD. Roughly 80% of mapstores have closed in the past 10 years.

But we are still here!

mapsmith

6. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of maps! Wouldn't a online travel map similar to Tripadvisor or VirtualTourist that we could populate with airport codes be a nice addition to MP ?

uggboy and Mikus33 like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And technically, you would have to have copyright permission to print that map on the board. Remember, printing maps is how mapmakers put bread on the table. And most map publishers that I know have copyright attorneys on retainer to protect their products.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to a couple of vector file databases (such as istockphoto) and found some good artwork. Since you are paying royalties to the artist who created the file, I believe this would get around the copyright issue, correct?

You can find some pretty good map art files for around $10. You can print it on a piece of gator board for another $15 and have yourself a pretty good push pin version for around $25. $50-75 if you want to add a nice frame. Much better than going out and spending $300-$400 on one. I think I am going to try producing one of a map of the caribbean to mark all of the ports I've cruised to.

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate that there's some on MP with the handle mapsmith. In my less older years I was only interested in maps and atlas, as well as foreign languages, and instructing people clearly not interested/aware of cartography/geography the nuances of different countries maps. I could go on, but I do recall seeing in an old (either it was an NW or DL in-flight mag.) a reference to Kampuchea, and more recently a listing of Chang'an, as opposed to Xi'an (two different places, yes, but only one airport). Where did your enthusiasm for maps stem from?

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, since the artist/programmer is the producer and the database does have a small cost, the copyright issue would be moot.

However, to make a magnetic map the gator board would need to be coated with a magnetic surface like a spray on surface before mounting the map onto the gator board. Then the magnets would stick.

Of course, you can always make a trip to Tucson and stop by the Map Store there and pick up a mounted map. I have connections with the owner.
    :D

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually for a history it takes some time.

I actually trace it back to the family vacations in the Midwest in the 50's and 60's. My brother and I found that when Dad stopped for gas, the gas stations had FREE MAPS. So we each built a decent collection. Add a period with the Boy Scouts. Then in college, I found that I really liked Geography and Geology. Majored in Earth Science and Minored in Natural Resources (thanks to Ed Abbey and Desert Solitaire)

A few years teaching. a stint in a Research Lab, Summer job with a surveyor, and then ten years in the Oil Patch.

Decided I did not want to spend the rest of my life outdoors and went back to get a Master's in Geography. Found a part-time job in the map store and was planning on opening my own (probably in Sacramento), when the owner asked if I wanted to buy the Map Store. After pointing out that I had no money (starving student ya know). We came to an agreement and 20 years later here I still am.

As brief as I can make it.

And Tad, I do know where Kampuchea is. and the Malagasy Republic, and a few other places. And one of the most popular flags in the store is Bophuthatswana.

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also want to mention a site with royalty free digital maps. Most can be imported and used for digital purposes. But remember, that they do have better maps available for a fee.

www.worldatlas.com

13. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, thanks for your cogent bio, mapsmith. Free maps, perhaps to take advantage of the influx of automobiles and Levittowns and the recently added highway system? Is there a particular aspect of geography that you enjoy the most, say physical or human? Since you mentioned earth science, I could take a gander.

One thing that frustrates me most about (tourist) maps is a common lack of a north arrow. The scale of city maps can be awful sometimes (take Bangkok, for instance), but I'd rather know I'm walking in the right direction down a long road than just walking down a long road. (I go on tangents too easily) That's where (somehow) China gets a point in my book; many of the street signs reflect the cardinal directions.

Also, since you mentioned Bophuthatswana, I (somewhere) have a shirt from a visit to the CNN Center in Atlanta. I'm not proud of that part of the story, but on the back are flags of pre-Apartheid South African states. Not proud of that either, but it's history, and it's intriguing nonetheless.

Mapsmith likes this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, on probably 95% of maps in the world, the Top of the map is oriented to the North. If it is not North, then you will find (somewhere on the map) an arrow pointing to the North.

Scale on the other hand can be misleading. The most famous map in the world, The Tube Map of London, has absolutely no scale nor reference to reality other than which stops are on which line. It is still a decent map, but you will find Covent Garden, Leicester Square, and I believe Picadilly showing a distance between them. In reality, the stations can be seen from each other at the surface.

My Thesis was on Recreation Geography in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. And was referred to in the Organ Pipe Master plan.

But my Geographic Philosophy is like John Fraser Hart's Presidential Address to the Association of American Geographers. "The Geographer's Duty is to give the Public what they want." In my case. maps.

BTW, it is kinda cool having a thread that fits right into my interests.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a couple of years, I was a network geographer (during the dot bomb era). It was a ton of fun figuring out where places could be based on millilightseconds, maps,, and precious little other information.

Mapsmith likes this.