MAD Lounge Access

Discussion in 'Airports' started by Newscience, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be in Madrid Airport for a 3+ hour layover, and have access to Star Alliance lounges through United Club. The only lounge that I can access appears to be the Cibeles VIP lounge in Terminal T1, 2nd floor. I'd greatly appreciate a confirmation of this assumption, correction, or any thoughts that Milepointers have on how to best spend this time at MAD.
    Thanks! :)
    Newscience

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airline and in what cabin will you be departing Madrid on? That will affect what you can get in to with your UClub membership.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrive on AA business, depart on Iberia Airlines coach/economy.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your UClub membership gets you nothing based on the above. You must be departing the local airport on *A metal to use the UClub card unless it is a UA or US-operated lounge.

Enjoy your time in the terminal.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, yeah, me and Tom Hanks... :(

6. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, regardless of your status, airline flown and class, if you had a Priority Pass card you go enter some lounges. Depending on how often you travel and how often you could make use of that card, it might be useful: Priority Pass Lounges

Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks cc1972! Your advice is very much appreciated! :) I've looked into Priority Pass previously. In the past, when travelling internationally, I've been exclusively on Star Alliance carriers, so this hasn't been an issue. Because of the AA-OW leg of my trip, it became an issue. If this is going to be a regular occurrence in the future, then I will most certainly look into Priority Pass. Newscience

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Newscience and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Wandering Aramean! Very much appreciated advice! :) Newscience

10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYSA, my flight from Miami to Madrid was late in arrival, and so I didn't bother with lounge access. The Madrid Airport (first time there) was pleasant enough so that it wasn't a big deal. I found the seats in the gate waiting area more comfortable than those in the airport restaurants!

BTW, my experience in business class on the AA flight from MIA to MAD was wonderful, and I can recommend to all. The (mostly all) Spanish-English speaking air crew was highly professional, very courteous, and the overall service was outstanding. Meals were quite enjoyable (the dinner shrimp dish had some (pepper) heat!), the wines served were definitely not bottom-shelf, with a hot fudge sundae for dessert, making for a great dinner! The reclining seats were adequate enough for a few hours sleep, and the individual Samsung DVD players great for watching new release movies. :)