MAD-JFK- award seats in business on AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sagefemme52, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience w/this routing for award travel? We have OW awards in business, and the only segment in coach for our trip(s) is on this flight. I did not realize until after this was ticketed that w/a OW award it is not possible to make a carrier change and so sadly am only looking at the single AA flight a day (AA95) which is a 757 and only has a total of 16 seats in business and not the IB option which would have been 2 flights a day, with larger business class sections. I have ExpertFlyer set up w/seat alerts. And to increase our chances of getting seats we are even willing to fly on separate days! Am wondering what's up w/the numerous open seats in business but not one day in the next 6 mos. with seats available in business w/the milesaver award from AA? Do seats ever open up, or horrors, do they give upgrades to those w/upgrade stickers before they will open as an award seat?

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stickers cannot be used to upgrade transatlantic flights.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you just "purchased" the award tickets, AA might allow you to change it without a fee. I don't know the AA rules on this, but other carriers tend to permit it either for 24 hours or before midnight of the day after the purchase. This might allow you to book the IB flights, which would be more comfortable that a 757 TATL. Weren't you advised that one of the long segments would be in coach on this business class award routing?

4. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we knew in advance of this one segment. What I thought,is that w/three MAD-JFK flights a day, we would most likely have award seats on at least one (or 2, if necessary) of those flights open up. Now, we only have the chance of seats opening up on the one AA flight a day, since OW awards do not allow carrier changes once ticketed.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well clearly AA's main goal is to sell the tickets, and not to give them away for "free". Chances are AA thinks they have a good shot at selling quite a few of those business class seats MAD-JFK between now and when the plane takes off. When AA thinks they've reached the tipping point between having seats they can sell and seats that will be empty, they'll probably kick them over to the award inventory.

You say nothing is open for the next 6 months, but I'm willing to bet there's some inventory in there, just not in the time frame you're looking for. If you're looking in the earlier part of those 6 months, it makes sense that nothing is available. Summer and early fall are high season to Europe, and most of what was free was snatched up awhile ago, which is probably why you couldn't even get business class seats to begin with.

I wouldn't give up hope though. You've gone a good route by setting up alerts for availability, which is probably your best bet. There's not a sure fire way of telling when or even if seats will be made available. You'll just have to roll the dice. There's other options, for example: do you have elite status? Sometimes special inventory is open that isn't shown online, you have to call. Also, do you have extra miles available? Could you look at booking another duplicate award with the currently available inventory and perhaps grab a seat on IB? If you were successful in finding seats, maybe you could refund the oneworld award with some small fees which would probably be worth moving into business.

But for the most part it's about being vigilant and patient.

Good luck!

6. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the kind words. When I say 6 months, actually, I checked for "U" inventory through the end of 2011, not one day had a seat!

7. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meant "eVIPs"

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What service are you using to search for seats? I used AA.com just now and found a seat in September when I searched. Are you searching through ExpertFlyer?

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA 95 9/24/11. U1 C0.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I saw but can't see it now, though there seems to be more available in October, too.

11. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I checked AA yesterday, and then EF too.