MAD BUSINESS AWARDS-ONLY ONE PER FLIGHT?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ajaxup, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've been checking DFW-MAD Business Awards in advance of booking for real this October for July 2012. I'd like to book two awards for my wife and myself. Whenever I check on a new day and a 50,000 award is posted aprroximately 318 days out there's only one available. If I go back and search using two passengers in the search the 50,0000 awards disappear. Is this normal for DFW-MAD or for anywhere else to MAD? Not very accomodating by AAdvantage!

SC Flier likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hello ajaxup and welcome to MP and the AA forum. You might find the discussion going on in this thread (LINK) interesting, since it pretty much deals with the unavailability of awards to Europe next summer.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. I appeciate the reply but I 've seen that thread. I don't see what the Olympics in London have to do with DFW-MAD award availabilty. The routes are either direct DFW-MAD or DFW to MIA or JFK direct to MAD. No LHR involved. I don't see many people going to London from the U.S.via MAD. Just seems like AAdvantage awards are getting less available.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I honestly don't mean to offend by this, but it would probably be a good idea to actually read the thread in its entirety before dismissing it. ;)

The thread's title clearly states that it pertains to award availability to all destinations in Europe (including MAD). The Olympics in LHR was raised as a possibly reason for unavailability in one of the first replies, but this was quickly dismissed as people recognized there was a larger issue involving almost all of AA's seats into Europe for Summer 2012 so far.

As for not seeing many people headed to LHR through MAD, that's a bit questionable. One of the key traits to being successful with getting an award ticket booked is flexibility, so you'd have much higher success getting to your destination if you are willing to connect somewhere. Like connecting in MAD to get to LHR. This relates to your issue, too. Have you called AA to see about partner award availability to MAD through LHR/BUD/HEL instead of just on AA metal through DFW/MIA/JFK? The BA redemption would be expensive with the fuel surcharges, but from what I hear HEL is a much nicer airport to connect in than LHR.

Also, you can ask about IB flights directly into MAD from the US from ORD/JFK/LAX/MIA/BOS.

SC Flier and Chimpy like this.
  5. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also note, the UK lux tax is excessive on premium seats to the UK. We are going to London this winter but we are flying to MAD and saving $300 ea. We are getting to UK via easy jet for $25 each plus another 25 0r so to check bag. The $400 saved is paying for theatre, tours, etc.

Again, the key point is flexability.

6. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the OP meant angry business awards for those of us who are allergic to chill pills....silly me :D

Travelman likes this.
  7. No offense taken. I had read the entire thread and those people seem to confirm what I stated. The number of awards are off sharply from the past. Maybe it's because of the Olympics. Maybe because AA is getting stingy with awards. Can't be proved either way. All I know is that the process was alot simpler and user friendly last summer('10) when all I had to do was check everyday for a week or so until my days came up and voila! I had no trouble snaring two round-trip business class awards non-stop DFW-LHR for this past June without jumping through hoops. I guess I 'm not the kind of person who gets a thrill out of booking some two to four connection out-of-the-way route. I'd rather just have the opportunity get what I want without all the hassle like I've been able to do in the past. If AA mkes it too difficult to get to MAD next summer I'll just cruise the Panama Canal and save Europe for another year when (hopefully) the AAwards get back to being a little more friendly. Thanks for your advice anyway.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It the award thingy is what it appears to portend.. some here who its seems the means of getting there is more important than the destination, might booking quite a few cruises.:D