Mac OS Lion OS-X 10.7

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by jbcarioca, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is anybody else upgraded yet? I just completed it about a hour ago. So far scrolling "backwards" has not been a problem. It already seems more intuitive. Otherwise a few things speed up and my old faithful Palm Desktop is no longer supported.

The entire upgrade process took exactly 31 minutes. I was astonished. Zero complications.

What are you finding?

nieder2 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I have any legacy apps such as Quicken that would cause problems, but I'll defer the upgrade to the weekend when i nave some time to explore it in detail.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the backwards scrolling got to me too. I switched back to regular scrolling. I am enjoying the multi-touch gestures. I haven't dived to deep into it yet.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. YBJFK

YBJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    I installed on a new Imac and a new Mac Pro...the Mac Pro...no problems however the iMac is crashing a lot...three times so far. I love airdrop and other features...mission control and full screens.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have now upgraded three of my machines. They took my initial $29.95 but have does the subsequent ones free! What a contrast with the "people from washington"

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They do have multiple computer licenses for things like MS Office (Student/Home edition), but yeah, I have three separate Win7 licenses for my assorted machines/VMs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Win7 multiples is a different story. The Lion upgrades just says it is $29.95 and seems to be for a single machine but then continues to accept multiple downloads for multiple machines. Microsoft never, ever, does anything, no matter how modest, without extracting serious penalties. Example: Mac lets people switch system languages at will. Win7 demands an upgrade to Win7 Ultimate for that. The very existence of multiple versions that cost hundreds of dollars is an affront, especially when Apple always charges $29.95 or something like that and that is it, the upgrade handles everything.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't have the actual EULA for Lion, but I recall reading when they announced it that they'd let you upgrade all computers in your household (or maybe 3?). Confirmed here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1191771.html

""License from Mac App Store. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:
    (i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control"

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I did not read the small print. That is quite an amazing when compared with the Redmond crowd.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. But not unparalleled. I am very happy that I can share my iPhone apps with my own iPad and my wife's iPad (and my dad's iPad... but he doesn't need many beyond the built-in ones, so no big deal).

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. The recovery partition is handy.... I deleted it because I burnt a DVD of the .dmg ;)
    2. On that note, all the fat has been stripped out of the .dmg so I can stop buying DVD-DLs
    3. I miss the blue candy canes already
    4. Um...colors please? I thought having grey everything is supposed to be unappealing?
    5. Loving the new System Profiler. "Early 2009 Mac Pro" is more readable than "Mac Pro 4,1". It will always be my 4,1 though ;)
    6. Calendar looks cool but out out place
    7. Mail makes me angry because I don't like iOS's mail client. Thunderbird all the way.
    8. I know the reason why apple removed the light below running apps but that reason will only work once everyone writes their programs to be Automatic Termination compatible.
    9. Heck I switched all the UI elements back to SL style...I have a big enough monitor to tolerate a 10px(or so) loss for scroll bars
    In conclusion, Apple has surprised me. I only expected iOS like UI tweaks and I got more than that for my money. Kudos Apple.

At work the big boss runs Eudora(ol' Qualcomm stopped developing it before Intel)...there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth due to this and we just convinced him to try out Mail...all the other sysadmins before us failed :D Yup, his Mac Pro is going to be at SL for at least the next year until we figure out all the details ;)
    I think this is only for the Mac App Store.
    Agreed. But then again at least Redmond doesn't kick good hardware to the curb or force you to use a silly programming language with objects tacked on(cough*objectivec*cough) to develop for mobile or force you to download a 4gb image to install their OS...

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, all the devices I listed use the same iTunes account (which I control).

downloading the OS has worked for decades for Linux ;-) I'd much rather download a 4Gb image (and burn it on my own DVD for backup) than order it from Amazon or drive down to Best Buy and buy it in a box. It's just bits! (lots of them, of course)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest linux distro I know weighs in at 600mb-ish. 4 gigs is a lot more than that ;)
    It's just me being stubborn though,as this means no more shipping DVD nonsense....but I still feel cheated.Plus I wanted to see a Lion on a DVD. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fly to China... I am sure you can find it somewhere on a DVD ;-)

jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  15. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D I'm sure i'll see plenty of these:
    [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be waiting to upgrade my new MacBook pro -- thing is my old copy of Quicken for Mac won't work anymore if I upgrade due to removal of Rosetta and parallels would have to be upgraded again and I'm choosing not to spend 100 to upgrade those apps .... At least not now..

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You could try VirtualBox, which is free.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been using VMWare Fusion 3 for soem time, but VirtualBox has a number of advantages, not least of which it is free. I think I will try it rather than doing the next paid upgrade for Fusion.

19. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Anyone know if the current version of VMWare is compatible with Lion--Fusion 3.0?

Thanks--I need it because I run Quicken Rental and Property manager which only runs in a Windows environment.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use VMWare Fusion 3. It operates normally under Lion. The Win7 is just as it was before, except that, so far, it boots a trifle more quickly than it did with Snow Leopard. I use it mostly for synching my ancient but trustworthy Palm T/X and running an old copy of QuickBooks, plus some really old Windows document archives that I want to keep in original format.

21. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So upgrading the Mac OS doesn't affect Fusion or Win XP I have installed? That's great. I may do it over the weekend.

Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  23. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a few days of use I have been able to really change back pretty much everything that I wanted to what it was like in SL. The one exception to that is Spaces which is totally gone. You can in some ways get stuff to function like a Space or if you use full screen mode there are more options (but fullscreen I just don't think looks good on a big monitor like I have connected). Speed-wise it looks like SL vs Lion is more or less a wash in tests that are coming out on upgraded systems.I found out the other day, when I went to try out AirDrop with my brother who just upgraded his Mac, that my system is so old that AirDrop is not supported by my wireless chip. :rolleyes:

Best new feature is probably the new Mail.app

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I ask which version of QuickBooks you are running in W7 on Fusion 3? I have 2002, which works fine for me on my PC. I haven't tried loading it yet on my new iMac, but I had problems loading Quicken 2009, so I am not optomistic. Thanks -- Suzanne

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is QB2009