M Buenos Aires - top Japanese Peruvian Fusion Restaurant

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Gaucho, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buenos Aires is not know for its seafood related restaurants... and this 100% Carnivore city is not easy for those that love the best from the high seas.

As much as the city is renowned for its world class beef, it is also know for its mostly mediocre sushi. The good news is that the last few years have seen a boom in Peruvian and Peruvian Fusion Cuisine which has started a fish and seafood Rennaisance of sorts.... M Buenos Aires is to date the best expression of this, and has led this restaurant to be at the top of its game in town.

Expat chefs and their teams have set the bar high... from various ceviche options to the many rolls, tiraditos and other peruvian inspired delicacies, the menu is varied and will have something for most all tastes. Considering the hardship of getting a wide variety of fresh/unfrozen fish, they do an amazing job. If in LA, New York or Sydney... this place would only get a rating of Very Good on my list... but considering it is in Buenos Aires, it deserves an Excellent. Aside from the good food... this place is also happening and is a nice option for a cool bar and young & trendy scene - including plenty of people watching.... the wine list if quite good and the Sommeliere at hand knows her stuff - but she will try to get you to buy the expensive stuff on the list so be alert on the economics of her suggestions.

http://www.mbuenosaires.com.ar/index_en.htm

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information, Gaucho. Since I am not a beefeater, Buenos Aires has always been a challenge for me. This makes it easier, especially because Japanese-Peruvian has been a favorite of mine ever sicne I ate at Matsuhisha (Nobu's first US eatery) many years ago. In addition, so what if the sommeliere recommends expesive stuff? This is Argentina. It it cannot be too expensive to those of us with income in Reais!:cool:

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point... with Reais it will be a walk in the park.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is M still the best Japanese-Peruvian? Are there other good choices these days for those who prefer less methane-emissions from their food? I'm sure you'll know despite your birthright predilection for dead cow. I have solid documentary evidence that your genetic makeup now tolerates marine food ingredients.:cool:

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:

Indeed... I do eat a lot of the stuff from the Seas.....

M Buenos Aires is one of the better places... again, for someone with your palate and your travel log, please remember to do some VERY important expectation management when you come to EZE and eat all things fish and Asian cuisine related. Having said this, aside from M Buenos Aires I would suggest you also consider Sipan, I think they currently are better than M. M is more spiffy and the crowd is trendier.... but Sipan is doing better in the food department, in my opinion.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... if you dont eat beef, what about Lamb and Pork....? Im trying to figure out what I will need to grill when you come over to the house with your better half and Im on Asado duty..... :cool:

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pork we eat. We simply try to avoid most excess fat. It's not that we never eat beef, just that it is a very rare event. Your culinary capabilities might well be such an event.:)

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so we will make plans for you to visit with us when you are down here with your better half.....

jbcarioca likes this.