Status Points:
    || Luxury U.S. travelers say internet access is #1 hotel amenity ||

Interesting insights here. :)

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah and in away its pretty sad.
    Spend time way from home in a luxury property and they just cannot keep off the computer and phone.:rolleyes:

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought. :) Pretty sad indeed. :(

newbluesea likes this.
  4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what's sad, in the grand scheme of things. Some members of this community manage to get "something for nothing" through various travel hacks. But the majority of customers of luxury hotels are folks who travel on business or who achieved have status in life by ascending the social ladder, which typically implies being pretty connected to work... sometimes painfully so. Connectivity is therefore a basic requirement for them.

There's also another category of people, who like me have a pretty flexible job, in terms of work hours and ability to telecommute, but who, in exchange for this flexibility need a reliable connection to the office. I feel fortunate that I can travel pretty much on a whim, but the flip side is that I need a reliable Internet connection. Sad? I'm not sure I'd trade this kind of flexibility for anything. It is a luxury and everything comes at a price.

Back in the day, before reliable high-speed Internet connections became commonplace, my company used to sometimes repatriate folks from vacation on the company's dime when an emergency occurred. This is a far worst alternative than having to logon a couple hours and then going back to the beach.

It's nice to check out and be disconnected. I don't think anyone would deny it. But requesting reliable communication means is just common sense. It's up to every individual to manage their own work load and schedule.

uggboy likes this.
  5. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For us lower net worth households....... "Free" Internet ...... (and waffles!!!!)

uggboy likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. I'm in that crowd. I work for MobileIron, a company driving on the concept of "Mobile First." Without getting all marketing-y, I can work from anywhere depending on what I need to do. A lot of it still involves face-to-face contact with partners and customers, so I travel quite a bit. My wife is a teacher, so the only time she can join me is in the summer and between Christmas and New Year's (which is the end of a quarter and fiscal year for us, so it's not vacation time in most cases). Being able to go somewhere that I can work "office style" for at least part of the day, reliably, gives us a lot more flexibility... and lets her read by the pool, enjoy the spa, etc. We get mornings and evenings together, and when I can be mobile we can be almost anywhere. We spend a week every summer in Marco Island and have a good routine down (especially since we have essentially a condo and can cook for ourselves, etc.). If need be, I'll fly out somewhere from Macro vs. flying out from Austin. Same difference... except the wife gets to be at the beach.

When we do actual vacations, however, I turn everything off and disconnect. That'll be us in Hawaii and Puerto Rico this year.

Internet access is absolutely key for me. I'm working from a hotel room right now - I'm in Fort Lauderdale for a two hour event later this afternoon. I'm depending on hotel internet right now to be productive (and taking a break to post on Milepoint while at lunch downstairs).

uggboy likes this.