Luxury Trip to Pleasanton, California (including Club Lounge!)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Jan 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine my excitement when it came the day for my trip to Pleasanton, California. I had been waiting at least two days for this trip, and finally, the afternoon came. I took my usual trip to the gym on early Saturday afternoon, then returned to my car, pressed the power button, set the address (so that the traffic and travel time would auto-populate), and I was off. I knew that this was going to be a good trip, because even I-80 didn't have horrible traffic on a Saturday afternoon (for the few miles I'd be driving on it). After merging onto I-580, it was smooth sailing for the rest of the journey. Finally, the Pleasanton signs started appearing on the freeway. This was especially exciting given the cornucopia of things to do in this fine town. http://www.pleasanton.com/channel/Things-To-Do/4833

In about 35 minutes, I found myself on Stoneridge Mall Road, with the beautiful Sheraton Pleasanton to my left, where I pulled into the parking lot. Speaking of cornucopias, there was an abundance of parking options in the self-park lot, and further, there is a little rotunda for drop off by the main entrance. I decided not to valet, nor use the little rotunda, but rather park in the main parking area and schlep my luggage (a small gym bag) with me to the front desk.

The very courteous agent informed me that only one of my three rooms were ready, as she tried to get three rooms near each other on the same floor. I let her know that this was not necessary, and any three rooms would be fine. I then received my key packets for the 4th, 5th, and newly-refurbished 6h floor accommodations.

First, I went to the 4th Floor, and admired my room. I admired it so much that I figured it was time for "number 1." I then washed my hands, reviewed the complimentary bottled water and coffee and tea packets, and the soap and shampoo. I reviewed them so well that I put them in my luggage and decided to continue on my vacation. I then went to the 5th Floor. This was more exciting because it was a club level room, and not only was the brand of water different, but the bathroom also contained body wash and a loofah, along with shave cream. At this point, I decided to once again, pack my bag and reach the pinnacle of my outing, the 6th Floor. This room was also appointed with the same accoutrement as the 5th Floor, yet only had one bar of soap, despite its location on the penthouse level. I put my luggage down and walked down the hall to the recently-refurbished Club Lounge. It was between regular service hours, so I helped myself to a Diet Coke and drank same, along with a package of complimentary snack mix. This was not ordinary snack mix. It was an ample sized bag of Gardetto's, one that would only be served on an airplane as a pay-for item, and it was only fitting for the club lounge in Pleasanton, California. I then took a cold water to enjoy back in my room.

After my visit to the lounge, I decided that my post-gym shower would take place in my club level room. On went the water, on went the body wash, the shampoo (lather, rinse, repeat), and conditioner, and finally, all the impurities washed themselves away to wherever the Pleasanton waste water may go. Out came the towel and the hair dryer (and of course, I did have to unpack to get my brush out of the luggage), and I was fresh as a Summer's Eve.

Within minutes I decided to not wait for the evening club lounge spread, and instead, pack my luggage (with the unused accoutrement from the penthouse room) and go down to the parking lot, put my luggage in the car, and start driving westbound. As traffic was backing up for the last several miles of the trip, I took a different route at that point, up through the "wooded forest" of Highway 13 and passed right by the Claremont Hotel, then down into the flats of Berkeley. Despite the return trip taking longer, I was still home in time to walk down the street for happy hour at a favorite local restaurant and have a drink and a mini-burger.

The most exciting part of this trip is that once the stays post, I'll have 5 stays and 9 nights toward my 2015 SPG Platinum status. Strangely, my activity did not show on Pleasanton's "Things to Do" website! [​IMG]

And so it will be good.
    Amen

desamo, dmel, iolaire and 2 others like this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must have missed something?

uggboy likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, except maybe the pictures of the lounge snacks.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you had arrived during the Club Lounge's regular service hours what would your options be?

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea. My visit last year consisted of the entire floor under renovation, so the hotel provided 2 drinks and one appetizer food voucher per room.

iolaire likes this.
  6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great MRTR ;)
    I find it very weird that the chamber of commerce doesn't list this as a selling point!

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are they going to say? "Pleasanton. Come for the points. Sleep back in your own bed."

Or perhaps, "Pleasanton. Shampoo, to go."

dmel likes this.
  8. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fixed.