Status Points:
    || Luxury Hospitality reveals sought-after hotels ||

Fascinating insights indeed. :)

TRAVELSIG, Kalboz and sobore like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton, Jemeirah, and Fairmont most sought after brands for luxury travellers?

More than Aman, Four Seasons, and GHM for example?

Dodgy.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would seriously hope that they know what they publish on the topic. While it sounds a bit different from what most expect, 133 million online search user statistics can't be 100% wrong, plus Four Seasons was the most searched luxury hotel brand anyway, plus the others mentioned incl. Hilton [ my guess is this has something to do with the emergence of WA and Conrad ], show up as fastest growing incl. Fairmont, Jumeirah and Shangri-La. Overall I believe this research gives us interesting insights into what people really want and what people perceive to be luxury and let's face it, such brands as Conrad, WA, Fairmont, Jumeirah and Shangri-La they have some mighty fine luxurious properties in their portfolios and yes, they offer sometimes very different entry prices into their hotels, this is depending upon location / local markets, I understand that they can be classified in many ways as luxury hotels, I have no problems with this at all.

While Aman is somewhat given as standard bearer for super luxury and service, they're aren't many of them around the world, none of them, beside the future Tokyo property is located in city locations and let's face it not everyone wants [can] pay $US1000 or more a night for entrance category rooms / villas. My guess is that the research is much broader than this and incl. looking / booking hotels in key cities around the world, taking into account emerging markets and new costumer / guest behaviors too. Four Seasons has been seen here as the most searched for luxury brand, this chain is located in major cities around the world, the same as the above mentioned emerging luxury brands within Hilton ie. Conrad, WA and the others. I believe it was all about what people have looked for on the net when looking / booking for a luxury hotel mostly in urban locations and this gives them the edge over Aman and GHM's, and in GHM case they're even smaller and more isolated than all the others together.

While I understand that luxury is rare, sometimes to be honest the definition of luxury is seen by way too many as one-sided and somewhat too narrow IMHO. I'm very happy to broaden the spectrum a bit and incl. emerging brands, different locations, diverse guest wishes from diverse countries in the mix of defining luxury. It's the 21st century, people should wake up and accept different styles, diverse offerings and diverse cultures and opinions in what luxury means to them and to others. This goes well beyond Four Seasons, Aman and so on IMHO. So overall, while research can be sometimes surprising, I'm open enough to understand and accept that there's a world out there and this has to include a more broadened definition of luxury and what is perceived to be luxury in the hospitality sector. We must look beyond narrow, that's my take here.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venezia is in a city :)

I agree on the price points. I still cannot get my head around any Hilton being luxury- not even a WA. Conrad maybe the Samui property I suppose but in my mind at least Four Seasons even is still a long way ahead.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. :) << I thought more about Milan, Rome, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Madrid, Lisbon, Paris, London, Dublin, Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Sao Paulo, Johannesburg and so on. >> :)

Let's not forget Mandarin Oriental and many Relais and Chateaux properties too, when speaking about luxury. It's truly fragmented, and while Four Seasons is a clear favorite of many, I remember our very own limited guest / stay experiences with them for example in London @ Canary Wharf, we've stayed there twice within a short time frame and I must confess we had received overall a warmer welcome and more personal satisfaction with both IC's in London. But again, that's personal and could differentiate from guest to guest. We've never stayed at the FS Park Lane location just yet. But having recent experiences with the IC Park Lane, which houses the "voted best Italian Restaurant in the UK" and has given us a Deluxe room upgrade, views over the Wellington Arch and London skyline, plus welcome gifts, despite having no status with them ie. Ambassador or RA, this made our stay pretty amazing. We're mostly unfussy about needing special services ie. concierge, demands and so on, this could also come into play when comparing luxury experiences from one hotel to the other or indeed from one guest to other guests.

As said in my earlier post, it's equally important to see "luxury" as a more broadened experience.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some more numbers incl.

POSITIVE:

NEGATIVE TRENDS:

http://travel.cnn.com/luxury-hotel-brands-203286?on.cnn=1

A mixed bag, as always, I would presume it all depends on the economy and how people can afford to travel in luxury, it's a balance, just as life is.