Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full report HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

uggboy, Flyer1976, airshadow and 2 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very impressive! The private jetset folks have nothing on you! And I hope that the many wine aficionados on Milepoint pay attention to your post! ;)

FWIW, I just came through IST security and customs 2 days ago and had a very different experience than your "9.2" rating. I arrived at IST airport before 3:00 am for my 5:00 am LH flight to FRA. The LH desk opened at ~3:15 am, and after I checked my bags and received my tickets, I headed to customs to get to that world-class THY CIP lounge! ;)

I should have realized that something was wrong when the only line open at customs was the "Turkish citizens only" line. The "Other nationalities" line was closed. One of the airport staff (a porter) said for me to get into "Turkish citizens only" line. Things went much further south from there. My wait in a small-to-medium-sized line was at least an hour (and IST is known for long customs lines that progress reasonably well). :rolleyes:

It seemed that there was a large group of Turkish country folk who had never flown before, standing in line in front of me. Only one person standing at a time at the customs agent? Nah, why bother, when it's more fun to bring your family and friends to the front of the line with you, and yell at the customs agent! Waiting calmly in line for your turn to get to the customs agent? Why bother, when you can scream an yell at the agent, and tell him a few things that he didn't know about this ancestry! I'm guessing at this part, because I don't understand Turkish, but whatever one particular guy said was enough for the other customs agents not doing anything else (i.e., such as processing folks through customs) to haul him away, kicking and screaming! :eek:

And so, I'm now not a particular fan of going through customs at IST early in the morning! In the late morning/early afternoon, they're pretty efficient. But I'm not about to forget my experience at IST anytime soon - a definite YouTube moment! :eek:

And so, I wouldn't quite give that experience a score of "2.9"! :(

3. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm sorry for you and your poor experience :(

I'm TK Elite Plus so I'm using the dedicated immigration and security check lines to access directly the lounge

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any tasting notes for the Cristal '05? I have it in storage and I'm thinking of bringing it in for tasting.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice trip. Thanks for the report.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! It must be good to be the King! :) Just think of all the fun that you missed at IST by being in that elite TK immigration and security line? ;)
    I just wished that I could have video-filmed my experience at IST, it would have been a hit on YouTube! :p

Gaucho, uggboy and G_G like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    TK is still flying leased 9W 77Ws with F, and selling F tickets/allowing F rewards? I thought that had stopped years ago.

G_G, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  8. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    No now these F seats are sold as Business seats

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does one book the F seat on a J award, as opposed to getting placed into J?

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drinking nicely, although I don't see the need to rush it. It wont live as long as the legendary 1996 vintage but then that's quite a high bar to surpass.....

Newscience likes this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Gaucho, for this report!
    In your opinion, which is better, the Crystal or Dom Perignon?
    Newscience

Gaucho likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I regard both houses make an excellent product, at the top of their portfolio. Having said this, the standard Roederer bottling I cannot swallow, while the similarly "pedestrian" version from Moet (the Brut Imperial) is in my view a very good everyday Champagne. Looking at the economics, I think your money is better spent on Dom Perignon.... in other words, I would not pay the premium to purchase Crystal. All the Crystal I have in my cellar were gifts or trade samples, etc.

If you want a cult Champagne that is worth the premium.... then Salon is where I would put my money.... followed by some special bottlings of Krug and Bollinger. And, lets not forget the DP Oenotheque editions.....

Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Gaucho,
    For your posting and for sharing your experiences and expert opinion. We've had both the Perrier Jouet and the DP, but not the Crystal, and so your opinion on it is especially valued. Obviously, the Hollywood types drink Crystal by the magnum (as featured in many movies!), but that alone doesn't provide an expert opinion.
    FWIW, we have enjoyed Vieux Clicquot for quite some time. I think that their NV blending has been masterful, and have enjoyed the fact that it pretty much tastes the same - of superior quality - from year to year for a NV bottling. And a bottle of Clicquot won't break the bank. Although I recall the days when Clicquot could be found for US $20/bottle on sale, it's more likely twice that on sale now, but well worth the price.
    Newscience

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very welcome. Speaking of the PJ, I find it odd as a choice to put next to the others.... as it seems like a match of un-equals of sort..... when comparing wines I think that it is very relevant to make sure you don't cross over too many "weight classes" else you end up having a naval battle of a WWII era gunboat vs. a Nuclear Powered Carrier, which kind of makes little to no sense.

And you make a good point about the standard VC bottling. Their NV is indeed very consistent and does not break the bank.... for the best possible price, you should find a local merchant and become a regular, and buy by the case. Im sure you will get a good deal that way, but given the weakness of the Greenback vs. the Euro, Im afraid that the day of 20 bucks for a bottle are long gone......

Newscience likes this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you are so right - about "wine weight classes" as well as VC and providing business to one particular wine merchant.

I recall stocking the wine cellar from one particular merchant some time ago. The chief salesman would occasionally bring out wines from his "private stock" (that he squirreled away for himself) and offer them for sale to his repeat customers!

Another acceptable champagne that is rather inexpensive and quite enjoyable is NV Philippe Prie. It is occasionally available here in the US through www.wtso.com for @$24/btl. We've also had their vintage (1999) "Love Flowers", at a bargain $40/btl.

The NV Philippe Prie is the "house champagne" at Jean-Georges Vongerichten's New York City restaurants Jean-Georges and Nougatine, where a single glass will set you back about the same as what a bottle costs through WTSO.