Luxury at the gate: Airport food options go upscale

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/136860678.html

Airports have long been the destination when it comes to overpriced, poor quality and hastily delivered food.

But Terminal 1 at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is going upscale, with a menu that will include succulent New York strip steak, creamy pumpkin soup and a side of premium customer service.

OTG Management, Delta Air Lines' new concession partner, is putting $25 million in renovations at the terminal to offer a more sophisticated dining experience for elite frequent fliers and business travelers in the Twin Cities.

On New Year's Eve, the McDonald's was ripped out from Concourse G to make way for the trendy Custom Burgers eatery as well as Tagliare, which serves Sicilian pizza. Coming soon will be a full-scale Japanese restaurant where travelers can watch chefs stretch noodles.

Read More: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/136860678.html

Horse, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good food is always nice. Let's see on how it will perform there.

Horse and jbcarioca like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of this does not make sense to me. Why do DMs need a concierge to organize their food orders and get the meals delivered to someplace near the deprture gate? I would assume that most DMs are in FC and will get a meal on board longer flights, or at least they're waiting and hoping for a gate upgrade. Also, they have a SC membership and probably prefer to wait there, although with the SCs becoming less attractive to use, perhaps the future is that high elites will use the concierge service and settle down near the gate with a snack and drink.

Similarly, I do not understand the appeal of ordering food to be delivered to my gate. If time is short, I would rather pick up the food myself and run to the gate rather than wait for a less motivated to walk my order to me slowly as I pace anxiously waiting to see wheth it will arrive before I am forced to board.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As usual I find it hard to disagree with you. These services sound nice until you try them. I am far too independent to try a delivery service that will maybe get the order incorrect, deliver it too late or not at all.

TAHKUCT, MSPeconomist and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The offerings sound indeed great, hope it will perform well too!:)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's well underway. Last week there was lots of plywood at MSP, especially around the long haul international gates G1-G6, where G1-G3 were separated off and there was a long plywood hallway leading to restrooms.

I observed a new Japanses restaurant serving sushi on the left side across from the Minnesota Crosssings store as one leaves the G1-G3 area toward the SC and airport exits. It's called something like Shogun and is small with a count and a few tables, all open to the concourse. It looks cute but it was empty, although open, around 9:30 pm.