Luxembourg - Share Your Photos of the Largest Microstate of Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by JasonH, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    View of part of Luxembourg Ville from Pont Grand-Ducal Adolphe
    1360 - Luxembourg - City from Pont Grand-Ducal Adolphe.JPG

The Grund. Part of the reason the city of Luxembourg was known as the "Gibraltar of the North." In the National Museum of Art and History there is an amazing metal casting of the city fortifications prior to their dismantlement as part of the same treaty that gave Luxembourg a measure of independence. Sadly, no pictures allowed in the museum.
    1322 - Luxembourg - Grund.JPG

The église Saint-Michel as afternoon rains move in. My ancestors came from Luxembourg and there is some evidence that one ancestor painted the ceiling of a church in Luxembourg. Sadly we don't know just where yet.
    1315 - Luxembourg - Église Saint-Michel.JPG

The streets of the Marche aux Poissons. This part of Luxembourg is a World Heritage Site. The twisting turning roads always seem to lead to a new discovery at the end.
    1317 - Luxembourg - Marche aux Poissons.JPG

2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    In old town, near Place de la Constitution there is Rue Louvigny. We were sent here by a US Ex-pat living in Luxembourg to get sweets.
    1387 - Luxembourg - Rue Louvigny outside of Wenge.JPG

Sweets at Wenge.
    Wenge Sweets.jpg

Macarons at Wenge. We got an 18 count box and enjoyed every one of them.
    Wenge Macarons.jpg

The only chain hotel in Luxembourg is the Hilton. It is away from the city centre, but the view was more than worth it.
    1390 - Luxembourg - Luxembourg from Hilton Hotel Room.JPG

Lufthansa Flyer, Gargoyle and ChgoBob like this.
  3. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been to Luxembourg (city and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg) few times now and have heaps of pictures. It is a charming place and worth to visit Luxembourg city and few other places around. BTW, for those of us old enough to remeber famous Radio Luxembourg, it is still active. More can be found here.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to be "old" to know about Radio Luxembourg [​IMG]. Of course given I work in media IT I probably know more about broadcasters than most.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are probably right. But for me, coming originally from behind the "iron curtain" and being fifty, the Radio Luxembourg is part of that era and hence, belongs to history and folklore. I was surprised that it still works and is available over the Internet...