Lurkers: Why you should register on InsideFlyer

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Tinkerer, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get it. I’ve lurked on sites before for years before signing in. Well, there’s several benefits of registering – and logging in – when you hang out on the site.

* It will make your life easier – you can go directly to your last unread post so you don’t have to track it yourself.
    * You’ll be able to see people’s signatures which will give you more info on who is who (and, don’t worry, you can hide them again if you find you don’t like them)
    * And, oh, you’ll be able to contribute both by asking questions and answering them. By lurking, you’ve added to your knowledge and can already help out others. You can also ask questions and contribute your experience which will only enrich everyone’s experience. Trust me, it’s fun too.
    * Over time, you’ll find people you like and can choose to reach out to them via “conversations” and/or instant messages.
    * And, remember, you don’t HAVE to post if you don’t want to.

It’s your choice….

justinorton, uggboy, danbl68 and 16 others like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more the merrier!
    Everyone has something they can add to make this a better place.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are a number of sites I've lurked and not joined. I lurked on FT for a year or more before joining. Much of that is caution- I don't want to sign up because I'm concerned about spam and privacy issues.

The main solution is to make the site feel very comfortable for lurkers, and to make the privacy policy really simple and clear right up front; maybe a different entry page for non members with a clear statement in a reassuring, calm graphic format and carefully selected font, letting them know it's safe to register.

uggboy, karung99 and piqaro like this.
  4. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more...I actually never ended up signing up for FT as I just lurked instead of taking the plunge, but what better time to throw off your lurking stigma than with a new site!

danbl68, savydog, Bonnie and 5 others like this.
  5. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome :) Glad you took the plunge and chimed in here too. Hopefully your post will encourage others to join us in the posting world!

6. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would any other item be necessary? This is such a useful feature that it should completely dominate the decision-making process.

You should join and then always be logged in while reading.

I've been on other fora where I've moved from active participant to lurker and I still made sure to routinely be logged in.

savydog likes this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Occasionally there will be special contests here on milepoint, and registration for these is limited to registered subscribers.

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true - Randy historically has run very generous give-aways for which one must have been registered prior to the contest announcement date ;)

Status Traveller and MrsBobSgt like this.
  9. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, you don't have to be a lurker anymore? This is a test

danbl68 likes this.
  10. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm loving it so far! [​IMG]

savydog likes this.
  11. Ok I am here now what

savydog likes this.
  12. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welc:)me! While the site is still being built, there's already lots of information coming together on travel (and beyond). How did you find MilePoint?

13. googling airline miles and hotel points and this popped up in one of my searches. I was looking for a way to get some additional miles for a future trip

savydog and piqaro like this.
  14. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you've come to the right place ... although it's still quite dusty since the site is still under construction. If you share a bit more information on where you are and your upcoming trip(s) including where you are going, for how long, and how much flexibility/influence you have (e.g., is it business or leisure travel), folks can point you in specific directions.

In the meantime, if you are looking for general information go to the forum list where you'll find a list of the various airlines and hotels. If you go into each of those forums there's discussions that are specific to each airline or hotel. Don't hesitate to jump in with questions - most people around here are happy to help answer all sorts of questions ... and you'll be helping get answers for those who come after you so don't be shy.

There's also a thread on promotions that are currently ongoing to help boost your points -- I couldn't locate it quickly so I'll be back with the link as soon as I do.

ETA: (That's edited to add, by the way) Fast track to elite status thread has several promotions that are consolidated in one place

TennisPro, piqaro and Freddie Listo like this.
  15. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been a lurker on another site for 6 years before signing in, missed the original member title, missed being listened to, I know it should not always be that way, but...

savydog and mowogo like this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard. We look forward to seeing what you can contribute to the community.

17. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think FT and MP are good forums because they are useful to lurk but always have a friendly vibe to accept new folks into the discussions. I lurked for a while before joining and it was a good transition but for those that want to be active I've noticed people come on after I joined and speed past with post #s etc. Always a good group, so everyone reading this and not joining.. join! It's fun, although it may get even more addictive.

18. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and here's one more reason - only when you are logged in can you see pictures in their full glory (vs. small thumbnails) if they are on the MilePoint server. Seeing them large makes them more enjoyable and makes how-to guides much easier to follow ;)

MrsBobSgt and TRAVELSIG like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another good point.

This is a great thread- Newcomers are going to feel very welcome here- yet another incentive to not lurk.

savydog and MrsBobSgt like this.
  20. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good advice, Tinkerer [​IMG]

savydog, Tinkerer and Juttalina like this.
  21. It never hurts to create a registration. Just don't use the same password everywhere.

Juttalina likes this.
  22. Juttalina
    Original Member

Juttalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just registered, and it feels good :D

Tinkerer likes this.
  23. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome, Juttalina and Sam :)

piqaro and Juttalina like this.
  24. Juttalina
    Original Member

Juttalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! This is a place I like!

piqaro likes this.
  25. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the first contest requiring you to be a registered member is live. Milepoint is giving away a iPad every day for the entire month of march.

Status Traveller, Jeffie and piqaro like this.