Lurker finally joined!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Marcia Andre, Dec 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Marcia Andre

Marcia Andre New Member

Status Points:
    I've lurked for years, but can't seem to figure this problem out, so could use some member help. We are flying this fall from ABQ to PPT for a trip on the freighter Aranui. The best connections/prices seem to be out of LAX via Air Tahiti (with separate ticket ABQ to LAX) but I can't figure a way to earn miles with them on any program we belong to. American seems to partner with Air Tahiti, but I've read you can't earn miles on American while flying Air Tahiti. We are members in Alaska, United, and American programs with no special credit cards to earn miles, other than points with our bank card. We don't take many air trips anymore - once or twice a year. But, this is a big trip and I hate to not earn miles.

It appears that we can book ABQ to PPT on Delta and earn on Alaska but this involves an overnight in LAX for us. Any analysis and advice would be very much appreciated. Thought of signing up for a Chase Sapphire card too.

2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome from a fellow (part-time) Albuquerquen.

What is the price differential between what you are finding on ABQ-LAX-PPT on Air Tahiti and ABQ-PPT on DL? If it is not significant, I'd take the DL option... especially if it is on a single ticket.

Booking a separate ticket for ABQ-LAX-ABQ and then LAX-PPT opens one for uncertainty. What happens if ABQ-LAX get's cancelled and you can't make it to LAX for your onward flight to PPT? Neither carrier is responsible to get you to PPT because, Carrier 1 just has to get you to LAX; they have no responsibility to get you to PPT. Carrier 2 doesn't really care why you weren't at the gate on time... you missed the flight.

As for the overnight, you can probably get a good rate on Priceline at an airport hotel. Personally, if timing is important as this is, I would prefer to overnight and be "guaranteed" to be around for my flight/cruise/whatever.

3. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

I would second your thought to get a credit card to earn miles with the purchase of the ticket, and on the trip.

If you do get the Chase Sapphire card, may I suggest you ask for it to have the "chip and signature" capability. There is much written about it online (and I also prefer the metal version of the card over plastic).

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Marcia Andre. :)

uggboy likes this.
  5. Marcia Andre

Marcia Andre New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. The tip to book all the way with Delta really makes sense. So, do I understand the various airline programs in that I can book on Delta using my Alaska FF account, even on the Delta flight provided by Air France?

6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Earning on AS is a much better idea than attempting to find value from DL SM. As you will know, DL SM is mejor en su clase. AS MP is just great.

7. Marcia Andre

Marcia Andre New Member

Status Points:
    Sorry redtailshark but I don't understand what you are saying. Remember I'm a newby here.

8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically, RTS is telling you that DL Skymiles are worthless (I have no opinion as I am not a DL SM member.)

Earning miles are more depending on the operating carrier (aka. metal,) and not on the ticketing carrier, According to http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/air-france.aspx,

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    and looking at the rules for Delta (http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/delta.aspx,)

10. Marcia Andre

Marcia Andre New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you MIsman. That information was very helpful. Looks like nothing will work for consolidated frequent flyer miles and direct ticketing. My only option appears to be to book LAX-PPT on Air France so I can get Alaska miles. I could get Delta miles on the ABQ-PPT but I don't have an account there, and don't want one. I'll have to ticket the ABQ-LAX separately as I can't make the Air France web site ticket that portion. But, most of the connections give me 10-11 hours in LAX anyway so I should be ok.

misman likes this.
  11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try ticketing through Expedia, Orbitz, or another OTA or use www.hipmunk.com to see some availability. (hipmunk does not book the travel itself, but gives you a link to book once you find a fare/schedule that works.)

Finally, you may just end up disappointed as many have with getting miles to PPT. It is difficult, as you are finding, and is often at such a premium price to one where you get no miles that the miles are not worth it.

Good luck!

12. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points: