Luggage

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the market to buy some luggage for my upcoming China trip. Any suggestions for carry on luggage? I know Tumi is the best, but I'm looking something that won't break the bank, but also will withstand some traveling. Thanks for the help!!

rwoman, N965VJ and jbcarioca like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are a member of Costco their Kirkland luggage is very reliable and reasonably priced. Of course, Costco has a great return policy if it is necessary.

3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    another vote for Costco

N965VJ, jbcarioca and NickM_LA like this.
  4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a Costco right down the street from me, is the Kirkland luggage online or in store?

N965VJ and jbcarioca like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is in the store.

6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I will have to go check it out.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are generally under $100. All the Costco stores I have ever been did have them in stock. They do change models frequently, but still under Kirkland brand.

8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I was looking on ebags yesterday (9 p/$ my chase sapphire preferred) and there were a few bags and luggage sets, but i didn't know the quality. I just didnt want to buy the bag and have it break after being "handled with care" by the airline baggage handlers.

N965VJ, jbcarioca and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not forget about Costco return policy!

10. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I managed to pick up an Antler Duolite 55cm International Cabin Suitcase for $99.00 in Australia and have been very happy with it. It only weighs 2.1kg.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is very light. How durable is it?

N965VJ, jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  12. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far it has been great, hardly a mark on it. The wheels are nice and smooth as well. :)

N965VJ, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I am in US and is selling for $179 with free shipping. Will try to find a local store so I can see it. I like that it is so light.

N965VJ, jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!! Been looking around, going to costco tomorrow morning (you have to be insane to go on the weekend). I'm also going to hit up TJ Maxx, they usually have great deals, but a not so great return policy. Or, I save my money and use my backpacking backpack I've used for years (similar to this one: http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=SPM5176271601P&sid=IDx20101019x00001a).

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy the cheapest bags from Victorinox and TravelPro that i find either at eBags, Tuesday Morning or TJMaxx. All my bags are heavily abused (we have a 12 bottle wine duty free allowance here so they all are often stuffed with wine) and are consistently loaded with more 30 KG (our weight allowance in international flights is 32kg). These bags have done as well as any.

Previosuly we had had Tumi, but every Tumi bag failed within a year and they never once repaired them. they always said theey could not, but the model was discontinued so we could have 50% off a new one. No more Tumi for us!
    One Victorinox has been repaired under their warranty (a handle broke) with no argument, and it was repaired locally in Brazil. No receipt, no argument.
    The TravelPro have never yet failed.

I know nothing of Kirkland, but I do choose the lightest bag I can find as long as it is cheap! If it is not on sale with deep discounts I do not buy it!

BTW, China domestic baggage treatment is usually very, very good. I have been on a half-dozen domestic carriers during the last couple years and have always had much better experience than elsewhere. The facilities are all new and baggage handling is consistently state-of-the-art. Worry about baggage handling elsewhere, but not in China.:D

17. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might call a local store or two before venturing out if you want something specific; what's on Costco.com and what is found at stores can vary, even in the same town. ;)

jbcarioca and TAHKUCT like this.
  18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, all Costco stores have Kirkland luggage. Might not have all sizes, so a call to your local store might be helpful.

jbcarioca, N965VJ and Chimpy like this.
  19. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it is not inexpensive, I vote for the 19" Tumi. I've now used it extensively for the past 2 years and it still seems brand new! It was my only luggage (with the aid of space bags!) on a 16 day trip thru Asia, and it worked great!

jbcarioca, NickM_LA and N965VJ like this.
  20. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've been looking for new luggage and I do not find the 27" anywhere in my area and Costco site says it is no longer available. The 21" carry-on is in all the stores however. Anyone find the big boy in their area?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, found this luggage thread with some good advice, but I am wondering if any of you have experience with these three bags I am considering. I want the bag to be light as possible, able to use as carry on for mainline domestic and also international flights, and of course hold as much as possible. They also need to be able to withstand gate checking, as at least one segment of each trip I make typically is on an Embraer 135/145 or a CRJ 200. I have found these bags all discounted and available currently at my price point and am trying to decide between them:
    Travelpro Maxlite 20" ; Victorinox Seeleg 20"; Victorinox NXT Ultra Light 21". From what I have read, it sounds like the Travelpro Maxlite will reliably meet carry restrictions on international flights, while either of the Victorinox seem from reviews to be reliably sturdy. I have read that Seeleg may actually be a bit wide on bottom to fit easily in some overhead bins but does fit, while at 21 inches the NXT Ultra might be a bit long for some bins? The Seeleg is the cheapest, while I suspect the NXT Ultra light would carry more clothes. (I did look at the High Sierra El Series, but at 22" I was concerned that it would not fit in some overheads.)

I welcome your thoughts or experience with any of these bags pro or con as well as additional suggestions.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you shop at Costco without being a member with a markup of 5% like Sam's Club? I am also looking for a new piece of reliable luggage as I have a generic Lanza carry-on bag that was bought as a $99 set in SFO in 2004. I'm honestly surprised it has lasted this long, as the large one broke many moons ago. I'd prefer to pay less than $80 if possible. My wife just got a London Fog piece from Ross for $35, but it was patterened, which is why she assumed it was so deeply discounted there. They sell Samsonite carry on pieces there for $65, but I don't really know anything about their more recent stuff and if I'm going to pay that much, I might as well make sure I know what I'm getting is going to be reliable. I haven't seen anyone mention Samsonite on here or TOBB, so it made me a little leery.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest getting at least two bags depending on how long you are going to be traveling.

If you are checking a bag (I never do) then go with something like the Costco bags. They are cheap enough that you can replace them if they get beat up. I would also check out TJ Maxx . I saw some great OGIO bags last week that I almost picked up as a backup checked bag for longer trips, but resisted because I have given up on wheeled bags since you have to gate check many of them on regional jets.

For most of my travels, I have a Victorinox carry on duffel bag. Paired with an ultralight laptop / tablet case, I can travel for 3-5 days without worry. With the right clothes and packing, I think I can easily get a full week out of just those bags.

If you don't need wheels and have money to spend, check out the Red Oxx Air Boss. Many road warriors swear by them.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    About 2 years ago I bought a London Fog rollaboard at Burlington Coat Factory for $49 (luggage is all I will buy there) and have used it non-stop. It's beginning to fray at the seams now, but it has lasted a lot longer than some bags that I've paid a lot more for. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a rollaboard several years ago that didn't last a year, so I will now only buy inexpensive bags.

servo46250 and jbcarioca like this.
  25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, though I am a Tumi fan (and three of my four current pieces of luggage are from them), I wouldn't say they are the best, merely the best for what I personally like.

jbcarioca likes this.