Luggage through-check-in on 2 different countries

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by r0m8470, Jan 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to through-check luggage on 2 separate tickets, but the ticket spans 2 countries?

I have an itinerary with Air Canada to CDG, then continue on separate ticket with Air France to a destination (not sure yet) either in Switzerland (Geneva or Zurich) or Vienna. Yes, I know about the train option but let's pretend they're not there for the moment.

I assume that AC and AF have interline agreement? If yes, can I check my luggage all the way through the final destination and not exit immigration at CDG?

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same PNR ?

3. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is a PNR? It is the same with record locator?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passenger Name Record. Your record locator is used to look up that PNR in the computers.

Regarding your question, yes, I have done that. Bangkok Airways from Koh Samui to Singapore and then UA to the U.S. (either via HKG or NRT, so yet another country in the mix). Two tickets, and the agent in Koh Samui had no problems checking the bags through to San Francisco (and they made it!).

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, AC has baggage interline with AF; whether your gate agent will check you baggage through to the final destination absence same PNR, is not a given.

6. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It seems that we may not need to do this. We may end up staying at Paris first then continuing to Switzerland at the tail-end of our trip instead.

anileze likes this.