Suggestion Luggage tags & MilePoint cards

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Maximizer, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my luggage tags and cards today, and I'm very surprised.

Tags: I assumed that the tags would have a place to write my contact info on them. What's the reason for not using them as actual contact or ID tags?

Cards: why isn't my member ID pre-printed on the cards? Why make me write it by hand? Don't you want me to actually use the cards?? :confused:

I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest these things, just curious as to the reasons. Thanks.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must be more expensive to print individualized cards and it would be more work to make sure that cards are sent to the person's correct mailing address.

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which reminds me that I never claimed my Gold gifts. Ooops.

So the description reads: "The next time someone asks how you know so much about miles, points, and travel, welcome them to the club with a personalized milepoint invitation card."

So should there be an asterisk next to "personalized" with a fine print clarification "personalization not included" ? ;)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it even more personalized if you write something on it?

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post and we've got a few reasons. If you'll note in the Award Store, we refer to the tags as "bag tags" not luggage tags because as you point out, "luggage tags" do sort of connote a tag with some sort of identity on them. Each has its own purpose. For instance, a luggage tag has a purpose of identifying the own should a bag get lost. That is why they are often provided at luggage check-in counters at airports. Simply put forth some ink and the airline or someone can identify the owner. But luggage tags come from any sort of other avenues. Often when you purchase luggage it comes with a luggage tag for you to fill in your luggage ownership contact info. I have an assortment of Tumi luggage tags that have long worked their magic. Also, if lucky enough to be singled out as a valuable member of ny number of travel loyalty programs, you'll likely have earned a specific luggage tag with some sort of affiliation on it, be it a Platinum member, etc. It is generally assumed by Milepoint that you likely have enough real luggage tags. Could we provide another? Absolutely. But given that we like to provide our members with classy benefits, the best price we could find on a luggage tag we universally liked was about $8 apiece. Add in S&H and we might be at the $11 range on average. With a growing membership, let's say over the next year we have 2,500-5,000 members that might qualify for this special benefit. You do the math. Generous we are, we'd like to plow that type of commitment into charity and a better user experience such as the free Milepoint wifi when flying on Gogo equipped flights, etc. than to try and replace luggage tags that are fairly prevalent. As well, we looked over the landscape and noticed that many of those active on Milepoint are pretty savvy travelers and as such, tend to carry their luggage on board with themselves. Does one need a luggage tag when carrying their luggage rather than checking it? I don't know the answer but am assuming it is not as important.

Now to the purpose of the bag tag vs. the luggage tag. While the luggage tag try's to identify your luggage, the bag tag try's to identify you. Not as a general traveler (the generic luggage tag from the airline check-in counter), not as an owner of Tumi luggage (not that exciting to socially connect to others for) or even as that special Platinum members (close to identify someone else who might be on the upgrade list in front of you) but in all these cases, they remain general and not specific to your social family of travel — other Milepoint members. Just having a luggage tag doesn't mean you love earning more frequent flyer miles, just having Tumi luggage doesn't mean you need help with an award on Singapore and being Platinum really doesn't mean you know what a mileage run is. But on Milepoint all these things are possible to know and learn and share. So, the idea of a bag tag is to try ensuring you never travel alone ... at least with strangers. The bag tag's purpose is to single out in a non luggage tag manner that the other person has something "conversionally" common with you. And trust me, in the hustle and bustle process we call travel, trying to call out and identify another Milepoint member with a unique luggage tag the size of typical luggage tgs is a losing concept.

And rather than $11, we can still feed charity and offer things like the free wifi and other benefits coming up and not be shuffled off to the poor house.

Now, on to the personalized cards. We did consider free personalized cards ... for all of 8 seconds. In fact that time was shorter than the recent sell out of the SMD4. Free business cards ... VistaPrint right? Free but you pay postage. Not free. Free but the VistaPrint ads on them ... we're sort of proud of the Milepoint name. Free? Just didn't like the ladybug graphics on the "Milepoint" card. But then again, we could have gone with one of their custom cards so we could have personalized them. Best price we found from them was 250 cards for $10 (plus S&H). Back to the porr house argument. Where does Milepoint find the $$$ to provide these benefits to members. It's a small site right now with no real compelling business model or revenue stream other than a true desire to continue to help frequent flyers become smarter travelers and with friends along the way. We're in over $125K annually right now to find Milepoint. If we added those luggage tags and personalized cards, we'd be somewhere around $200K in the hole annually. We made the best decision we could for the concept of bag tags (they are classy and work though honestly, will work even better as membership grows) and as for the personalized cards ... nothing says personalized better than your own handwriting. We think they outshine anything we could have gotten from VistaPrint and best of all, we pay for all the S&H.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. We've got so much more planned over time, stay in there, contribute and grow your benefits with your participation. Now, back to the luggage tags dialogue. I can say and you can guess that I likely don't have these luggage tag samples (photo below) lying around the House of Miles just for the heck of it. All I can say is that members contributing to the value and growth of Milepoint will always be respected and rewarded.

photo (36).JPG

ACMM and Qualityflyer like this.