Luggage on (long) layover

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by r0m8470, Jul 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, curious about long layover situation.

What happen to the luggage when we have multi-segment award tickets with long layover?

Example:
    What if we fly from SIN-ZRH, then long layover (23 hrs more or less), then continuing the next day from ZRH to SFO.

Do we need to get our luggage at ZRH or can it be checked through?

What if in between ZRH to SFO, we put another long layover, say in CPH, then the next day continuing to SFO.

It'd be nice to structure an award from SIN to SEA or SFO, but fit 1 or 2 or 3 layovers. I have not seen a limit on segments yet with UA, so I'd be interested to see how many cities that I can fit on a single itinerary.

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about the rules, but I have experienced airlines refusing to check luggage through on even-shorter overnight layovers. YMMV.

Laptop Nomad, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this depends on the airline policies. I have had overnight layovers and typically the luggage stays below, and is checked through to my final destination. This is a long layover though... Best to check with the airline directly.

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You absolutely need to check directly with the airline(s) involved. Sooner, rather than later.

If your travel is all on one airline, you likely have the best options for your luggage actually arriving at your final destination, and an honest answer as to whether you need to retrieve it, or it will travel all the way through. The second best option is on airlines partnered in the same alliance. If you are travelling on multiple airlines which aren't in the same alliance, then good luck - you'll need it!

Laptop Nomad, Counsellor and vickers like this.
  5. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if it's a 1 ticket, on an award, with 1 airlines, but actual multiple operating airlines?

I can redeem a one-way United award with this itinerary: SIN-IST-ZRH (long layover - about 20 hours) - CPH-YYZ-ORD-SFO-SEA, on 1 ticket.. It will be treated as 1-way from Asia to North America.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that is a ticket! ;) I'm willing to bet that @Wandering Aramean can answer your question in his sleep...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA policy lately has been 4 connections each direction IIRC. Possibly 4 segments, but either way the itinerary proposed probably won't ticket. Back in the day that sort of thing was possible and those trips were a lot of fun to plan but a few too many people got in on that play and it is no longer viable.

As for the check-in policy, especially where there is an overnight it is generally possible to get an agent to short-check the bag. Just mention at check-in that you'd like to have the bags show up at whatever then next overnight and explain why and it shouldn't be a problem.

8. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thks! I think you're right. I read on Drew Macomber's blog (travel is free), and his is usually a reliable source for UA. On 1-way, it's 3 connection max, so you're right, my proposed itin probably will not ticket. I do think that going from Asia to NA through Europe is still a lot of fun though, especially on business class.

Laptop Nomad, Counsellor and uggboy like this.