Luggage on LH PEK -> FRA -> ORD -> DEN checked through with overnight in between ?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by German Expat, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and son have a flight from PEK -> DEN via FRA on LH. Her flight LH721 lands at 2:40pm and they are leaving the next morning at 10:45am to ORD (LH430) and then continuing on to DEN on UA. She stays overnight at the airport Sheraton.

When she checks in her luggage at PEK will they check it through or does she need to pick it up in FRA and check back in the next morning ?

She would prefer to have it checked through but would need to know ahead of time if she can do this to pack their carry on accordingly.

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be checked through to den if it's al l on one locator code. I've had trips like that which required an overnight stay and lh held my bags. When she checks in at pek if her bag tag has den on it, then it will go all the way through

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. If she's flying PEK-FRA-ORD-DEN, the bag should be tagged (assuming that she doesn't want it for the overnight at FRA) to DEN, but she will need to wait and retrieve it in ORD before exiting customs and handing it back to the airline to continue to DEN.

4. German Expat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It shows up under 1 locator code on the LH web site. I want to avoid that she only figures it out at PEK airport so she can pack accordingly rather then scrambling at the airport.

5. German Expat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, she is aware about the part in ORD and getting the luggage through customs but I didn't make it clear in my question above.
    Unfortunately no award space opened up yet for the FRA -> DEN direct LH flight so at this time she has to go via ORD.
    I hope the agents at PEK know what to do and can check it all the way.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed ord part as msp economist was so gracious to point out, but to answer your question, she'll be fine at fra for the overnight.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that they won't even notice the overnight connection and will just automatically tag it through to the final destination (DEN). Also, once the luggage is checked, she won't be permitted to switch to the FRA-DEN nonstop.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you ask for the bags to be short checked to FRA to be retrieved for your overnight there (which of course you don't want done) the bags will be tagged through to ORD and DEN, with a yellow LONG tag designating a long connection.