Lufthansa's 747-8i First Class Cabin: In-depth!

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think cabin interiors are customer-specific, but I wonder whether the trend is to eliminate overhead bins in the F cabin (a la CX F?), or to keep them?

4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and forgot to mention, I'm surprised that you were the only pax in F, given that it was an inaugural flight! Very nice report, 744!!

5. Au4882

Au4882 Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It wasnt the inaugural. I said I traveled on June 3 after covering the inaugural that was on June 1! :)

I went back and cleaned it up a bit. a couple of people thought I was on the inaugural.

aptraveler and kw335 like this.
  7. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah how much I enjoyed being the only one in F... :D

A truly wonderful and in-depth TR indeed! Hoping to try this bird soon! :)

9. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    744, simply said, well done on the travel report. Thanks for taking the time with all the details and interesting explanations, without mentioning the great photos that illustrated well your narrative. I agree with you on your comment that LH & Boeing have set a new standard of comfort and aesthetics in the sky. I really enjoyed your TR, much appreciated! :)

jrp2 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  10. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report, thanks!

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great trip report in your private First Class Cabin:)

12. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew the 748 the other day in F. Ran into another Flyertalker I knew. 4 of the 8 seats were Flyertalkers and the other 4 were checkin upgrades from Business.

Yes - this is truely a remarkable airplane. So quiet, that when you add the Bose headsets (provided) - complete silence. Gives the sensation that the engines are off and the plane is floating.

I like the private lockers - can hold a roller bag. But still has overheads - but most don't use them. Best sleep I have ever had on a flight. Great service and food - what more can I say.

At IAD - you board from the lounge and go right into the F cabin - so no sense of how big the airplane is.

The F restrooms are right in front of business class - with a curtain. However the BC passengers kept trying to use the F restrooms so the FA's had to lock them and unlock them with an F passenger wanted to use. The J restrooms are right in the middle of the J cabin (downstairs) so only a short distance back from the first J row. So this was the only issue I could see.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this is great to meet like minded individuals- 4 of the 8 (50%) being checkin upgrades from Business is indeed not a good sign of times to come for Lufthansa First Class.

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the four of us Flyertalkers were all on reward seats. I know the other four were upgrades because I overheard them talking about just getting the upgrade (German businessmen using some sort of coupon). When I did my seat assignments about 5 hours before flight time - those upgrade seats were open.

But from what I could tell - BC was full (at least downstairs) and I am guessing coach was full - as most UA flights that day were full to Europe.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... 4 rewards and 4 upgrades. It used to be relatively easy to find interesting fares for LH F to many destinations on non-peak flights. A few months ago that changed. It sounds like perhaps the RM department can tweak things a little more if they want full revenue F compartments.

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    still isnt hard to find some decent F fares occasionally. LH is running F fare sale right now that gets you from NYC to LHR via FRA for $4100. F at C prices. Most of the east coast to europe in the 5k range and up and west coast from 7k range. On "paper" these are fairly attractive fares considering their normal cost. The key is to market these fares properly, and to the proper demographic.....

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The offers you are talking about sound very interesting.

New York from MXP this week is 5963 EUR round trip on the special promotion which is really not a very good deal.

In fact, here are all the special offers posted on the LH website today for a Milano departure- I am not going to go out of my way for 8400 EUR to Tokyo or 7363 to Los Angeles on a restricted fare:

18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    interesting that Milano is the hub of the special. IIRC, I know that THAI among others uses Milan as an intl gateway, so perhaps its in response to something the other carriers are doing? I didnt have have a chance to dig more deeply.

19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can change the departure city- I just happened to be purchasing a ticket from MXP and thus saw the offers ex-MXP. The prices don't change much ex-other Italian gateways on LH such as BLQ/VCE/VRN etc.

Given that a TG ticket RT in F ex-MXP is ~4000K EUR to BKK, the LH special which requires a connection (vs. the TG nonstop) at 6350 EUR is not going to get many takers.

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    not in the least......