Lufthansa pricing mess -- again

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by tommy777, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just read this article in Politiken, Denmark. Lufthansa was opening Bogota and had a sale from Scandinavia to Bogota. Price was 0, but because of absurd fuel surcharges, the fare came out to around 2000 DKK (about 400 Euro). After 2-3 weeks, the passengers ticketed got a note from Lufthansa to pay about 1000 DKK extra.. What a mess. More here (in Danish only, sorry)

http://politiken.dk/turengaartil/re...fthansa-fortryder-lav-billetpris/?trackId=jp3

uggboy likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    So after booking LH actually asked people to pony up more money? What happens if they refuse or can not afford to do so?

uggboy likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    They will cancel the ticket...

uggboy likes this.
  4. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    Not that it matters much, but the price was lower than 400€...closer to 270€ if you had the right dates.This was already done in Finland as well. Seems that it was only occurring for people booked through certain travel agents. Not sure if people booking through LH's website have been getting contacted. So far nothing for me.

Edit: My wife informed me that post has not been able to deliver a registered letter from Germany that was sent around April 16th. After translating the article, sounds like LH is trying to contact us as well.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt they can actually do that from a legal perspective.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A real mess!
    How can they do this? Saying it is free // 0 // nada.......but than??:mad:

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can only hope that the world wakes up to this, and yes, it is not only Lufthansa who are on the act!
    I would presume that every airline is guilty of offering so-called free tickets, but on check-out and paying for them the price rockets because of taxes, fees and even more costs who are now associated with flying, needed or not, they are added, wanted or not, the passenger must pay! Let's hope this will be regulated in the future, but thinking about it, this debate goes on around the world a rather too long time! Let's fly my friends, Let's fly and pay a fair price without unwanted extra charges! Fair Play!;)

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is yet another marketing ploy, Lufthansa must have known that the eventually fare will not be 0,- for the passenger and the let's face it the passenger should have known too!;)

9. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure most passengers would know. You usually see the all in price, maybe a breakdown later on. Most frequent fliers knew what was missing, but I am not sure everyone would notice. LH had been discounting this route recently and even had a double mile promo to BOG at the beginning of the year. The price was not that much higher after it was corrected (and still low by normal prices to South America).
    To add to my earlier post, I received my letter today giving me 7 days to pay up or have the ticket cancelled. The letter was delayed in the post and was dated April 13th, yet no action has been taken. Interesting to see if they get around to cancelling it.

uggboy likes this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The problem here is that the ticket is NOT free. It has a substantial cost and a regular customer does not look at the break down of price, just the total. That it takes them over 2 weeks to come back to the customer, is not acceptable. The customer has most likely booked hotels that can be non refundable and made other arrangements.

BAD PR for Lufthansa for pocket change

lisen51 likes this.
  11. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more! In fact, the fare was corrected on April 4th and I just received notice today. 1 month! Glad we held off booking rooms and onward flights. My wife was on the phone today trying to book a partner award (through M&M no less).

12. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH or german travel websites(opodo.de, expedia.de, etc..) never honor mistake fares.

13. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have heard this in the past, however I have not heard of any German's (i.e. from VFF or VFT) having their tickets cancelled yet. So far LH only seems to be chasing after Danes and Finns.

I am still exchanging emails with LH, but without resolution so far.

14. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you see this post on FT ? :confused:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16359166-post77.html

15. lisen51
    Original Member

lisen51 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes and it is very interesting. Completely opposite of what I have been told. However, it is the persons 1st post and perhaps needs to be investigated more. At least a name at LH was given, which can be checked out if one has the resources.

Still waiting for my reply from LH. The first response took 2 hours...this one is almost 2 days and counting.