Lufthansa pilots to strike tomorrow / 30.09.2014 / UPDATE

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by uggboy, Sep 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa pilots to strike tomorrow

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soon... the biggest unpredictability to air travel will no longer be the weather but the treat of strikes.
    Reliability has really gone downhill with so many strikes.
    Even when an announced strike is called off, chaos has already been created especially for the pro-active folks who made changes to the original plans that may not have been ideal.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a strike disrupt my travel before. Granted it was a bus in NYC to my hometown but it did seriously get my schedule messed up and involved getting me to a town about 40 minutes away from my actual town and a nightdrive for my husband to rescue me. Strikes definitely hurt the consumer

WilliamQ, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terrorism is another big threat IMHO, like in the Ukraine when MH317 was shot down and many innocent lives were lost. While strikes can be a nuisance in the bigger picture, the employees only want better working conditions or at least keep the existing ones without losing them or getting constantly downgraded.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course strikes hurt the consumer, but we equally have to ask why such situations arise in the first place for employees and why there aren't any other avenues to find solutions which satifsfy all three sides here incl. travellers, employees and employers. It's important to remember that the people who serve travellers do also travel as customers from time to time, so even they could be affected and yes, many of them know both sides, serving travellers or being travellers.

lapointdm and Newscience like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok... How could I have forgotten about Terrorism.
    In the current framework, that is a big concern.

That said... there is an ancient saying...
    You can defend against all external treats (plan for weather, plan for terrorism) but you will never be able to guard against internal treats (employee strikes)

For weather, you can have better equipment (radars, studier planes and advanced technology).
    For terrorism, you can have checks, intel, technology etc

For strikes... seriously, what may seem logical to most may be cause for strikes to a group of employees.
    It is a two way street and I agree that it would be nice if the employer could put themselves in the shoes of their employees and the executives can certainly do with lesser remunerations

lapointdm, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thought wasn't meant to be particularly deep in that I do think strikes hurt the consumer. That isn't my entire thought on strikes and I know there are perfectly legitimate reasons for strikes to occur and they've historically and even now been useful to help protect workers rights and wages. I don't know enough about the reason luthansa is striking to articulate a good statement on that either way just that I'm sure it's hurting some of the luthansa customers at this time.

uggboy likes this.
  8. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to an LH FCL and you will wish for delays.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is that good? :)

uggboy likes this.