Lufthansa MIles&More Master Card - 50,000 miles sign-up bonus

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by european28, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got this in the email today.

Link

gleff likes this.
  2. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    And they say there are no good promos outside the US. :D

BTW, is this issued by Barclay? The T&C look awfully similar to the US Airways card and a lot of people reported not getting the "World Premier" but the "Platinum" version -- if you aren't approved for the top-tier card, they'll automatically consider you for the lower-tier one -- which comes with a much lower bonus and credit limit. Many people didn't consider the lower bonus/limit worth an extra credit pull. Also, the outsourced call center was reported difficult to deal with.

3. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and talk about a much lower bonus - holy cow - a measly 5,000 total for anyone who gets the Plat version. And like you said - based on reports from the US Airways card - that's very likely to happen. It's too bad, but Barclay's reputation precedes them. I'll pass.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Except it's for the LH U.S. credit card :D

vbroucek likes this.
  5. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do they decide who gets the World Mastercard? 'cos it seems strange that they don't tell you the exact Annual Fee in their disclosure ... instead listing both:

$79 for the Premier Miles & More World MasterCard
    $0 for the Miles & More Platinum MasterCard

It says it is based on income and creditworthiness. Maybe I'll call them and ask:
    +1 - 800 - 30 86 008

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    ?????:D

7. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this card back in 2008 when they offered the regular 20,000 bonus plus a 10,000 limited-time extra bonus. The new 50,000 mile offer is broken down as 20,000 regular bonus and 30,000 extra bonus for spending $2,500 within 90 days of opening the account. So I sent them a polite message through the secure message center inquiring whether they would extend the offer of receiving 30,000 bonus miles for spending $2,500 to me as an existing card member (or maybe the difference between the 10,000 'extra' bonus back then and the 30,000 'extra' bonus now). I don't really expect a positive response, but it doesn't hurt to try. I'll report back once I receive a response.

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    What worries me about possibly getting the Platinum card isn't so much the lower amount of bonus miles, it's that the Platinum card only gets .5 miles per $ spent. I still may apply, though.

9. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a follow up, I received a response, or probably I should say a non-response to my inquiry. They essentially stated that as a valued cardmember, I can earn one mile per dollar (or two miles for selected partners), that the miles can be redeemed once credited to M&M, that it may take 30 days for the crediting to take place, and that I should call M&M should I have any further questions about the rewards program. Then they apologized for any inconvenience this may cause me.

10. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied and only noticed that after I signed up that indeed I got the platinum. Never missed a credit card payment in my life and to make things even better they actually offered me a pretty high balance. This really makes you loose trust in a brand and is a very bad business practice.

In my view -- if they don't want my business a rejection would have been the right thing to do. A bait and switch is not!
    So I've learned my lesson as well. My advice to everyone is stay away from Lufthansa and Barkley Bank. Plenty of other 50K offers out there.

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I despise Barclays. I have 10k+ credit limits on all my other cards, but my former barclays card you ask? I had to fight to get it raised from 1k to 1.5k...too little, too late.

12. MAJOR BAIT and SWITCH! Avoid applying for this card at all costs. I wish I would have read this before I applied.

I have been a Lufthansa customer for many years and a Silver Frequent Flier for 2 years. I decided to apply for the card so I can even get more miles. Credit score over 750, making 6-figures, DTI % great. Instantly, they approved me for a 5-digit credit. Before the decision was final, I had to review the terms (i.e. annual fee, balance transfer fees, APR, etc). APR was listed at 15.99% (which is high w/ today's low rates but I let it go). I clicked "OK", instant approval and then they prompted me to set up my account online. I did and as soon as I logged in, guess what? APR was at 24.99%!!! I was flabbergasted!

I called Customer Service and asked why different rate from what I was shown while applying? She did not know. She came back and told me it was my..."creditworthiness"! I did not know if I should laugh or cuss her out! I asked to speak with a supervisor and (without even checking) she told me "they are all in a meeting"..."great service"! I told her that I thought it was incredulous that they would rather lose me as a customer than entertain the idea of lowering the rate! She couldn't care less.

I am filing a complaint with Lufthansa; it will only hurt them as I will now shy away from even buying my tickets through them. There are plenty of other airlines (United/US Airways/Swiss) and/or banks (Chase/Citi) that want my business, both in $$$ and miles. What a racket!

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're paying interest on a CC, you're behind the curve already. 16, 25, just pay it off either way and it doesn't matter.

Getting the lower bonus and reduced earning of the lower-tier card, on the other hand, is a big deal that I would not be happy with at all.

Scottrick and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. I agree. It's the principle of the matter, though. As a first interaction, the initial opinion is that this bank is bait and switch and left a bitter taste in my mouth. As I wrote, there are plenty of other cards/mileage programs that are more straightforward and do not use such tactics. This shows me that if, in the future, I have to dispute anything related to charges, the bank will not go to bat for me. I have had great experiences with AMEX/Delta.