Lufthansa is intreasted in SAS

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by LFCorsten, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Karsten Benz (Lufthansa) said that Lufthansa is looking into buying SAS. Is this a good idea? What do you think?

2. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Instead of buying one bankrupt airline after the other, they might finally wanna get started fixing their very own products.

ssullivan likes this.
  4. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    What should they fix? The First Class und Business Class product is being "fixed".

5. Way too slow, way too late.
    Plus: IT sucks, FRA sucks, etc.
    I'd like to see more focus, less expansion.

kiwi likes this.
  6. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why are you still flying LH? Take the better product. I like Lufthansa. If you need them, they are helping more than expected.

7. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, on airliners.de an LH spokesman said he (Karsten Benz) has been misquoted and LH won't take part in such speculative discussions. That being said: "Well ...". Such rumors are around for several years now and this discussion restarts itself about every few months. So, nothing really new today. Given LH has some "minor" homework to do with their latest aquisitions I doubt this specific scenario (nor LO) will become reality in the next 3-5 years or so.

The interesting part of this discussion from my pov might be what'll happen to SK's daughter WF once LH aquires SK. Ideas?

8. Confusing. What has this proposed LH/SAS expansion to do with who is or is not flying LH? You asked for opinions, you got mine. See posts 3 and 5.

Anyway, leading this thread OT as asked by you: If LH had a better product, I'd most certainly fly them more. As of now, I only fly them if there aren't better alternatives and if those better alternatives are way more expensive. So, yes, I do take the better product – if available. Don't we all? Anything else would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, many great airlines do not offer domestic, intra-EU and nonstop longhaul flights from German hubs. LH is fully aware of this, hence they rather invest their money in lobbying against EK etc. instead of quickly rolling out a great Business Class product.

Rambuster likes this.
  9. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to Lufthansa they have been quoted wrong.

http://www.airliners.de/wirtschaft/kapitalmarkt/verwirrung-um-lufthansa-plaene-fuer-sas-/23292

They (LH) are also concerned with "...to many unions, internal conflicts debt...." (in relation to SAS)

G_G likes this.
  10. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    WF becomes "Lufthansa Village Hopper" [​IMG]

11. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what Lufthansa told about Austrian, too.

12. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This "Lufthansa is interested in SAS" theme usually comes up once every quarter ;)

13. Used to the same with OS. Until it really happened.

Fredrik likes this.
  14. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll see ... Word is that a delegation from China Eastern just was in Oslo for talks with SAS management ... SAS in Skyteam? Yes please, if it means a direct Atlanta-Oslo! ;)

Fredrik likes this.
  15. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As they were a founder of *A and have a very *A focused long-haul market, I doubt we would see this.

Besides, Skyteam seems to be more or less the global reject alliance.

16. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't quite say that. The 'original' Skyteam, called ' Global Excellence Alliance' was formed by Delta, Swissair and Singapore. Delta invited Air France to join, Swissair and SQ left and that was the start of today's Skyteam.

17. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if they don't have a choice? What if the majority owners decide the offer is good enough? I don't know for sure that a foreign(non-EU) airline actually can buy and hold the majority of shares in an EU-airline but I suppose someone can enlight me.

18. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    F
    For starters, the Scandinavian governments needs to sell before a new majority share holder will do anything. With the open-skies agreement, US owned airlines can operated intra-europe flights, whence non-EU airlines could potentially take over SK, but I seriously doubt that.

19. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic revenue eroding due to LCCs and high Scandinavian cost base limiting competitiveness with other airlines.
    Governments and unions meddling in all areas, even nationality of crew composition on each flight.
    Not a good starting basis.

20. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess with LX and SQ, they would be an alliance of excellence, now it seems their only members that I would really want to fly are AF and KE.

21. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone remembers, SK were also part of the 'Alcazar' alliance, which never took off.

22. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea better than many of the other alternatives discussed in this thread. But as has already been stated, this pops up in the news from time to time, and every time this happens the SAS shares gain 5-10% value (temporarely) on the stock exchange. So if LH was seriously interested in getting their hands on SAS, it would perhaps be better to try to keep it quiet rather than making public statements that only will make the deal more expensive. [​IMG]

23. Totopez

Totopez Active Member

Status Points:
    It would be very much in line with LHs former strategy to buy SAS, and truly become THE carrier in northern europe.
    But is it really the best match? What about AF/KLM? Or BA? wouldn't SAS fit in better in their portfolios?

24. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it good for the competition that SK goes to an other alliance?

25. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it would yes, but *A is already in a lot of competition from especially Norwegian in Scandinavia, so I don't think it would really matter so much in regards to pricing, if that's what you meant.
    Also, the 3 Scandinavian hubs are entirely setup as *A hubs, so it would have immense impact on CPH, OSL and ARN if SK were to leave for another alliance, I think.